Stanton ST8-150 or Technics 1210 MKII for Newcomer?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Stanton ST8-150 or Technics 1210 MKII for Newcomer?

Hey all,

I realise that this topic has been discussed to death around the internet. So that you're aware, I have already read through this thread:
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=31965

I was hoping that you might be able to provide some input on my specific requirements. I'm a beginner looking to get into turntablism and after much saving have set aside a little over £1000 for new gear. Since I'd like to use digital music, I'm thinking 2 turntables + mixer and Serato (or a Rane TTM 57SL) + Novation Dicers.

I'm strung between the Techincs SL 1210 MKII and Stanton STR8 150. A pair of B-stock Technics that have been seller refurbished by professionals will cost me £510, vs. £500 for a pair of new Stantons (a pretty good deal on both IMO). However, I'm having a really hard time deciding between the two. At the moment I've drawn the following conclusions:

Stanton (£500 new, 3 year warranty):
    - New, therefore no risk
    - Higher torque
    - Easier to find replacement parts in future? New and upcoming - could eventually replace Technics?

Technics (£510 B-stock without carts/styli, 1 year warranty):
    - Industry standard
    - Very widely used and have stood the test of time
    - Adapter slot for Novation Dicers (which I plan on buying)

Based on the prices I'm being offered, what do you guys suggest I go with? Sorry to revive the now age-old discussion, but I'm spending a lot of money and want to make sure I've done my homework!

Thanks!

Use the search bar...do some of your own homework more than enough of these threads already.

I'd say go with the Technics, they'll keep their value much longer than the Stantons. Nothing wrong with the STR8 tables, but they don't quite match up to the build quality and "feel" of the Technics.
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by bmxerguy13 View Post
    Use the search bar...do some of your own homework more than enough of these threads already.
    Didn't even bother to read the OP's post did you?

Anyways it will really all depend on what you like better. They're both well built so don't worry too hard on quality. Most of this decision will be completely subjective so see if you could try to get your hands on both to see which one you think feels better.

I also see that you plan on using dicers. The technics are far more dicer friendly as the they were designed to fit into the 45 adapter hole. If you hadn't noticed the stanton tables have an extra play button instead of the hole so the dicers cannot sit flatly on the service of the table. I've seen people glue pennies or larger rubber feet to the bottom of their dicers to fix this. It may not be a deal breaker but it's something to consider.

Many people would suggest for you to get the technics if you plan on playing out in clubs as most clubs with tables in house will have technics instead of stantons but this is a hugely generalized statement. Chances are the clubs around you may have cdj's instead. Some people who have practiced with stantons have had trouble playing on technics because the stantons have far more torque. Although with some practice you can get within rhythm fairly quickly.

Finally, I'd like to say that straight tone arms are notorious for their record wear. Read this article. I've heard of people who say the str8 150s are an exception though so this may not be the case for you but it wasn't worth the risk to my friend who had bought a pair of st 150's last year instead of the str180's and so far he has had no complaints.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by BlackJesus; 02-22-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Tech Mentor

I'd question your comments, Cybertrash, regarding build quality. Certainly not going to get the same feel, with a deck that has a floating platter and adjustable torque where the other one doesn't.

BlackJesus? Money.

A lot of the Technics you're likely to see in smaller clubs and pubs and dives are going to be in disrepair, and you'll probably see more CDJs than turntables these days. For one: I wouldn't be taking "industry standard" as a parameter
    in your decision making.

Secondly: a deck last 30 years without a hitch. Will it last 31? 32? Past longevity in USED equipment is no attesting to the future.

I say you're on a winner with the ST-150. Rather than the STR8-150, you'll likely encounter more s-arms than straight. As well as that, you shouldn't really use a straight arm when your getting your technique down, in case you become too heavy-handed and can't compensate on other equipment.

Tech Mentor

On a purely financial basis you should get the Technics.

What you pay for them now will pretty much be what you are likely to get back from them. Whereas the Stantons will loose you money. That way, if you feel you would have preferred the Stantons after a few months / years, you can always sell them on and get the Stantons without any extra outlay. You wont be able to achieve this the other way round.

Also, as said before, you are more likely to find the Technics if you go play out, so the value found in being familiar with the feel and peculiarities of the Technics should not be underestimated.

End of the day though, it is up to you how you go about it. Perhaps read up a little more before making your choice, and if you can play with both before you buy, this would be much better.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

If you con't have a preference (and you would if you'd tried 'em both), you should go for the Technics.

For th esake of a tenner it doesn't even deserve a thread!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Technics... I bought both of mine second hand almost 15 years ago and have done my own servicing; I can tell you they are built like tanks.

I've seen one (not mine) fall off a DJ table bounce bounce off the stage and then fall another distance onto a concrete floor :eek: - and still work fine (they were lucky that the tone arm assembly didn't get damaged).

I've owned other Stanton equipment and have been disappointed with the build quality.

All around the Technics are better.

What would you "love" more? Like in your heart...

technics or stantons?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Firstly, we should get this moved to appropriate forum... Karlos? Photo?

As you can see, I am using a bigger font which means that what I say is probably the most important

Tribes: Tribes will always exist. Technics Tribes, Vestax Tribes, Stanton, Numark, Breville Tribes. This makes it difficult for anyone asking these kinds of questions as the advice is often bias, but you can't blame people for having passion. I have owned several sets of the decks over the last 15 years but will always be in the Technics tribe. Even when I had a pair of excellent Numark TTXs, I was still a Technics guy. I am just pointing this out to assist with navigating any thread of this kind of subject. But do remember that I am using a bigger font so what I am telling you is the absolute truth.

Torque Torque is useful but its not the B-all or end-all. While you will see turtnablists using Stantons and Vetsax etc, the vast majority of them use Technics. Given that Technics have less torque than the other models, why are they still so popular? I think a lot of it has to do with technique. Great scratchers are very light handed meaning that while they may be moving the record back and fourth rapidly, they are not exerting a lot of downward pressure and thus are not causing the platter to slow or stop (although there are a few scratches that require some download pressure in order to slow/stop the scratch) In that respect torque becomes less relevant. For people that do exert downward pressure on the platter (maybe because they are still learning or it's just their personal technique) getting back to full speed as quickly as possible is everything and torque becomes key.

Wow & Flutter Just as Technics have less torque, they also have less wow/flutter. In this case that's a very good thing for mixing as less wow/flutter equals less fluctuations in pitch, meaning you spend less time tweaking an correcting mixes. I found the TTXs to require more to keep mixes in time than Technics.

Parts and Servicing New decks are great as they do come with a warranty. Having said that, the warranty only represents a fraction of overall life expectancy of the deck. New decks are also great because you know how they have been used. Further down the line, years after the warranty has expired, its important that whatever you buy has parts available and can be serviced or repaired without sending it to the other side of the world. I have no idea how common Stanton service shop/repair places but I know of half a dozen places that do Technics who are located within an hour's drive of me. Conversely, I have a Vestax PDX2000 that I cannot find a reasonably priced platter for anywhere.

Standardization Its true that Technics are the standard but its also true that you may well run into Technics that have not been well maintained and may be tough to play on. From the scratcher's perspective, the mixer is even more critical. I would just rather own Technics and if I'm honest, I don't think I would be switching them out if every club suddenly went to vestax next month.

You Forget taking our advice, go play on both sets and see what you like. I have made many mistakes by buying something or going somewhere based on other people's recommendations. Nobody on here is ponying up the cash for your tables, it's all you. At the end of the day, they are both good decks, it's just a matter of figuring out what's important to you.
    Last edited by smiTTTen; 02-22-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast