How hard is it to change the stylus (n44-7) on the m44-7?

Default How hard is it to change the stylus (n44-7) on the m44-7?

Im about due for some new Shure needles and I noticed that the stylus can be had for much cheaper than the whole m44-7-H.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...assified=false

How difficult is it to change these, and do I need any special tools? Just wondering if it's worth the money to buy the whole thing.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Lol nevermind. I just pulled on it and it slid right out.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tech Mentor

Just curious, how long your needle lasted you? I'm trying to figure out if one of mine needs replacing. Mine is a Ortofon Concorde type, coming in close to almost 450 hrs probably. I've heard the M447's may last a bit longer though.

One downfall for me, this being my first time around using TTs, I don't think I cleaned the needle as often as I should have.

I haven't changed them yet as these came with the turntables when I bought them. I noticed one of the needles was slightly bent and figured I should do something about it asap before I ruin my records.

I change them about every 9 months. That's probably more than I need to. But people who scratch a lot go through them about 2-3 times as often.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

You pull it out and shove the new one in.

It's like having sex with a girl who has a tampon in except easier, less gross, and less likely to get a post censored on a DJ forum.

Also, uhh…I think you're the first person in history to imply they even though about buying a new cartridge because their stylus was worn out. Congrats.

I mean…it's not like turntables are common nowadays, but come on………

Tech Mentor

So is there such thing as breaking in a new needle? I've heard some Serato users talk about this, but I don't know how or what it refers to exactly.

You do have to break in a new needle. Only way to do it is to scratch. You definitely WILL notice more jumping with a new needle.

You only really need to change your needles when the sound is effected. keep a NEW needle handy to do an A-B comparison when you think your's might be worn and need replacing.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

You don't have to scratch to break them in. The actual needle part comes perfect. The springy arm that it sits on does need to wear in a bit, but just leave them sitting on stopped records overnight and they're fine.