xone plastic "rings"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default xone plastic "rings"

Hi,

I plan to buy used xone 42. I have already tested it. Plastic rings around cue/filter buttons are loose. Is this on all xone mixers?
    I had xone dx. I send unit back because almost half of them were loose, other half was fixed.

Now I dont know, are rings fixed or loose or what?

Thank you

That is why I remain sceptical about the Made in China units - I know I'll get some flack for this.

I've owned two 92s in my life. The first one I bought was made in UK. everything was solid. The light rings were solid and secure in the top plate, blah blah blah. Then I relocated to another country (ironically the UK) and sold my mixer.

I few years later, once settled, I bought another 92, but by this time it was made in China with the graphite-grey top-plate. Upon receiving the mixer the loose light rings were the first thing I noticed, along with less solid EQ pots (not much, but you could wiggle them slightly, and they had a very slight lag) and when I ran my fingers along the edges of the top-plate it felt quite coarsely cut. Also the tension of the knobs were all different, especially between the left and right filter knobs - the left was so loose you could turn it by just blowing on it.

Without a doubt (after being used to the original quality standard) I figured it had to be a bad production model. I returned it the very next day for another. That one came with the very same 'defects'. I returned it again. The 3rd unit was the same, again! By this time I was cursing the heavens.

I thought, fuck this, and sent it off to Allen&Heath, which was no trouble, seeing I was now living in London and I used my job to send it off free of charge - A&H agreed that I had valid concerns and reason to be unhappy. They sent the unit back via courier 2days later. I thought, awesome service! When I checked the mixer, the light rings were rock solid, but everything else was still the same. So I opened up the mixer.

Guess what I found? They merely hot-glued all the light rings to the top plate so they won't be so loose! To me this was enough proof to show they knew there's a drop in quality. I was pretty livid by this stage. Long story short, the mixer went back to A&H. They called me a few days later saying they replaced my mixer with a brand new one, but that they all had the same issue with the light rings because of (insert long waffling explanation about the manufacturer in China, which I can't even care to remember). Anyway, they also couldn't find a graphite-grey top-plate without the badly pressed jagged edges since they all came from China like that. The only solution they had to offer was replacing the top-plate with a silver MK1 UK version.

I declined. By this time the reality of the situation sunk in. The 'more recent' China-made models simply doesn't have the same build quality, no matter what they say.

These are my conclusive observations and thoughts:

The graphite-grey top-plates are of lesser quality material - it's almost like a galvanised type (and thinner) metal which is then spray painted. Also the holes are punched slightly too large, which is why the light rings appear to be loose. (The MK1 top-plates were a solid rust-proof and thicker alloy)

The gripe I have with the EQ pots (92):
    The EQ pots are not the same as the rest on the mixer, it's physically a different kind of pot, to give a better, more accurate feel when EQing - as confirmed to me by A&H. My problem is, and I'm being extremely critical here, is that there isn't proper connection between the shaft and the wiper, which I find odd, as they are still ALPS pots with a solid reputation.

Let me explain - a pot (potentiometer) consists of 3 basic components; the (carbon/plastic/whatever) resistive track, the wiper/rotor mechanism, and the shaft. The wiper mechanism has a small locator slot(s) into which the metal shaft inserts, so that you can turn it. When this slot is a little over-size you get lag on your faders/pots, as the shaft first has to rotate/travel a slight distance before it grabs the wiper. I found this to be the case with China-made 92 models. A good quality pot has a very tight insertion point between wiper and shaft. I'm not sure about the rest, I almost think the 42/62 has plastic shafts, which sometimes indicate that the wiper and shaft is a single component part, eliminating lag (but more susceptible to abrasion between shaft and casing). (Here's a few pics of how it all fits together - it's a very basic and old pot, not what A&H uses, but it gives you the idea: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...6113#msg666113)

Don't get me wrong, the lag I'm speaking about is very little, but the very reason why I buy expensive Allen&Heath equipment is to have zero lag. Also the fit between the shaft and casing is not as tight anymore. If I grab an EQ knob tight I can wiggle it from left to right slightly, ie not turning it, but moving it horizontally through the vertical plane. This was not the case on my previous MK1. The MK1 EQ pots was as solid as most Vestax pots. A&H did respond to this - they said they allow for a slight mechanical tolerance, which spells to me lesser quality pots. Oh well, guess I must put it down to post-buyers dissonance then.

I received a lot of flack from A&H for mentioning this on their forum. I mean, I don't think it's bad luck, not when 3 consecutive units all have the same issues, so I thought I did good voicing these concerns over there.

I'm still a major fanboy, but in the end it does make sense to me (sort of), the 92, or whatever2, has been around for a long time now, probably not such a big focus point for them any longer, which is no excuse, but still...

Woah, that was a very long rant-like post. (This must be how Mostapha feels when his fingers start walking - just kidding)
    Anyway, take it or leave it, that's my ultra 2cents.
    Last edited by Destrukto; 02-23-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    92/2D/X1/KRK/Traktor (Toshiba Satellite M50 / PSM51L)
    Progressive Psychedelic

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djAB3 View Post
    Hi,

I plan to buy used xone 42. I have already tested it. Plastic rings around cue/filter buttons are loose. Is this on all xone mixers?
    I had xone dx. I send unit back because almost half of them were loose, other half was fixed.

Now I dont know, are rings fixed or loose or what?

Thank you
    I picked up my 92 second hand.. I've only had it for a couple of weeks now, but some of the light tubes are loose. I assumed that is the way they all are as new models in the store are also loose... but all of these units are made in China.. and they have been for a while. I don't get the feeling there will be any breakage, however.

These are fair concerns. Does anyone know if the 4D was made in China since it had the graphite top? I've owned a silver 92R, 4D, and DB4. The 4D was still very solid and I never had any issues with the quality.

So, now you own china xone 92 with loose rings etc. ?

And I still dont know: are all china xone mixer like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    These are fair concerns. Does anyone know if the 4D was made in China since it had the graphite top? I've owned a silver 92R, 4D, and DB4. The 4D was still very solid and I never had any issues with the quality.
    AFAIK the 4D is UK-made
    Progressive Psychedelic

My friend has got xone 4D. Rings are also loose...

Luck of the draw. I own two Xone:2Ds, one with solid rings, one with loose rings, both bought at the same time. The loose-ringed buttons also sound more tinny when I hit them. Best part is I want to sell the one with solid rings, as the one with loose rings matches the loose rings on my 92.
    Progressive Psychedelic

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djAB3 View Post
    So, now you own china xone 92 with loose rings etc. ?

And I still dont know: are all china xone mixer like that?
    If directed at me.. yes... very solid mixer. I'll be traveling and gigging with it whenever possible. All the Xones are now made in China.. every Xone I've touched has loose light tubes... not the buttons... just the tubes.

My Xone 92 is made in China. Its the graphite grey one, everything feels solid and well made though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast