VCI-300 Software Change??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VCI-300 Software Change??

I just bought a Vci-300, haven't even tried it yet. (Blizzard took out my power all weekend so..) I've seen the info about making the 300 work with other software other than Itch. Is Itch a poor program to get used to? Or, is it that everyone was already used to using other programs that they wanted to continue using? If there are other programs that are way better to use what are they and why?
    Thanks, Beetz

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DjBeetz View Post
    I just bought a Vci-300, haven't even tried it yet. (Blizzard took out my power all weekend so..) I've seen the info about making the 300 work with other software other than Itch. Is Itch a poor program to get used to? Or, is it that everyone was already used to using other programs that they wanted to continue using? If there are other programs that are way better to use what are they and why?
    If you want to use the 300 like conventional decks and a mixer, Itch is the way to go (and take very little time to get used to). If you want more controllerism type stuff, Itch is definitely not the way to go. Well, that is my opinion. Most dj software has demos (Traktor, deckadance), so try out the various packages and decide for yourself.

Thanks sgb..

Tech Wizard

Default VCI-300 & DJ software

For basic mixing, I love Itch. I'm not into scratching so that feature isn't a consideration for me. I just purchased Traktor Pro and can use it with my 300 without any mini translator, etc. (Just like Itch) Both Itch & Pro have excellent iTunes integration which is very important to me. Pro is very good for mixing as well but I think I still prefer Itch (They're both pretty much equal for that), Traktor has alot of features which Itch doesn't have so if you need a software to do alot more than mixing, then Traktor is a better choice, although if you do alot more than mix (scratch , effects, etc.), you would be better off with a VCI-100 since it's set up to do alot more than the 300. Personally, I love the responsiveness of the buttons, etc. on the 300. It's the closest to playing a CD, The response for looping and mixing is dead on accurate. I'm using the "sosik's_vci300_0.2 beta.tsi to map my 300 for Traktor Pro and it works fine. (mixing & looping) You can find it on the forum here at DJTT. If you can't let me know and I'll help you find it. To sum it up, if you're a 300 user and want something else to play with besides Itch, you can't go wrong with Traktor Pro.

Very informative djwcswing... Have you ever tried or heard much about deckadance? Maybe it's just the catchy name that's getting my attention.. I am very new (haven't even tried a single mix yet..) but, I do plan on getting as advanced as possible atleast as possible with the 300. Who knows beyond that.. I would like to get used to one program that will be user friendly for beginners but, will also allow me to go as far as I can.
    Is the Traktor Pro much more difficult to get started on than Itch? I just don't want to waste time with one program by hitting a wall and having to start over with another.
    Thanks Again

And, I don't think I'll be so much into scratching either but, I am interested in mixing from just blending everything from tracks to beats to the point of making my own tracks. If that makes sense??

Tech Wizard

Default Mixing

If you're using your 300 for blending (mixing) primarily, I would stick with Itch. It already comes with your 300 & make sure you have the latest version which is 1.05. You can download it for free at the Serato website. Why spend an extra $199 for Traktor when it won't do more for you than Itch (for blending & mixing that is). If you've purchased a previous Traktor version, you can upgrade to Pro for $119. If you've never purchased Traktor, you can now buy Traktor Duo which is identical to Pro with a couple less features. It's $119 and is a good value. Itch is really simple to use because of the way the software is integrated with the hardware (300). For example, there's no play button on the software, it's on the 300. This is why the VCI-300 & NS7 work best with Itch. I personally like the visuals on Itch better than Traktor. The waveforms are much more detailed & bigger on Itch than on Traktor. Ultimately, the best mixers do it by ear but the visuals can help in the learning process. As for Deckadance, I tried the demo but couldn't figure out how to integrate my iTunes playlists with it and so I never really tried it. Maybe someone else could help you with that.

Thanks again my friend. I'll stick with Itch for now and learn what I can with it. I was just trying to keep from switching programs over and over again but, with the way there will always be a better one coming out as time goes it was probably a silly idea. Thanks again guys, I'm gonna start tomorrow.
    Take Care, Beetz

dude im no mixing prodigy but if you have a vci300 Itch is the way to go. Its fast as hell and incredibly accurate. sure you can run the vci with traktor with special mapping but keep in mind, its designed for itch, it WILL run better on itch and thats a fact. plus if your into beatjuggling and the like serato itch and vci300 make a deadly combo.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

I dunno eh, its not so stupid as it sounds.

On one hand you have Serato with its nice jog implementation and pitch faders which is nice, no doubt about that.

But then if your using Traktor you get access to a ton of really really features that will make blends alot nicer - if your a more jog wheel orientated person when the VCI-300 is certainly better but Traktor certainly beats Serato hands down when it comes to pretty much everything else.

Its really a decision you have to make for yourself, one one hand you have a more traditional way of mixing and on the other hand you have a different approach to mixing in Traktor (i wont say its better because this is art, there is no better of worse).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast