Apple's patent suggests DJ beat matching
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Apple's patent suggests DJ beat matching

As the title states, Apple patent application points to DJ-like beat matching, pairs iTunes with fist pumps

Here's the full article:

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1

What do u guys think, future?

until itunes can chop, blend, scratch, have spectacular music choice, use loops, mix with several decks, use sample decks, or quite frankly do anything creative, I don't think we have anything to be concerned about
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Mentor

Traktor has a hard enough time finding the BPMs on some songs, and Apple's software is going to do better then Pro DJ software? I'm an Apple fan, but unless there is going to be beatgridding in iTunes (yea, right) then I think it is just a really long shot as to how well iTunes would mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelan View Post
    Traktor has a hard enough time finding the BPMs on some songs, and Apple's software is going to do better then Pro DJ software? I'm an Apple fan, but unless there is going to be beatgridding in iTunes (yea, right) then I think it is just a really long shot as to how well iTunes would mix.
    You'd be surprised what large companies with extremely talented programmers and boatloads of cash can do that might be outside of their core competencies. Apple has like 40 billion or so sitting in cash, I'm sure they can find a few guys who know how to create some top notch detection algorithms. Just sayin.

Tech Mentor

A fair point you make, though I'd still be surprised if it turns out that great. A software or app that beatmatches or analyzes better then Traktor would seem to definitely be a competitor with NI and Rane.

I know there is more to software then analyzing tracks, but it would seem if they got that right they could easily build from there especially with the $ they have - like u wrote.

Apple trying to do everything. Jump on the DJ bandwagon - cue the fanboys.
    I will stick to Traktor.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

I think there might be trouble if Apple gets a patent on this... Software patents are usually ridiculously ambigious, and Apple are not known for being "careful" with their patents.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Spotify just came out with crossfade. I can see Apple wanting to do something with iTunes DJ that picks songs close to the same BPM and plays them for you.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I wait with baited breath for the day that songs can be auto warped/beat-gridded.

Warping/beat-gridding is time consuming, and takes all of teh fun out of DJ'ing.

And beat matching is EASY once you know how.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    I think there might be trouble if Apple gets a patent on this... Software patents are usually ridiculously ambigious, and Apple are not known for being "careful" with their patents.
    +1 - this is yet another stupid patent by apple trying to patent software thats already been around for aaaages

Btw looks like the patent was filed in 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast