For those of you who have tickled a Xone
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default For those of you who have tickled a Xone

I have a Xone 42 which I have spent maybe 1-2 hours on before I was called away for work to a completely different state. I have been there for several months and was just told I will finally be going home in a week or two.

I am so excited to muck around on my Xone but wanted to ask a few questions about it.

1. Do the logarithmic volume bother you? Coming from a Pioneer they are much different.

2. How about the pre-fader leds for volume monitoring. EQs do not affect it, so using your ears is especially important. Does that bother you?

3. Do these two issues turn you away from it, or do the sound quality and filters make up for this...

I know at the end of the day, it is what "I" like. I just wanted to see you opinions too.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Mentor

1.- different but no better or worse
    2.- you can Change to post eq the monitoring.
    3.- best consumer sound mixers, period

Can you explain #2 a little more Tito?
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Mentor

When you cue a Chanel the main mix meters become Channel meters like in al xone mixers and that metering is post eq and post gain. The thing I am not 100 percent sure like in others xone mixers it is like inside there is a jumper to make the individual monitoring channels post eq and post gain (sure it is on the 62, 22, 92 and 4d). The only thing you can not monitoring on cue is the filters.
    Hope it helps

1. It did a bit at first but since I was already mixing a LOT with EQs, it just pushed me a bit further into that. I have a lighter touch on the faders as well, usually slightly tapping to nudge them around.
    A detail I appreciate is that if the gain is set so a channel is always in the blue at about +6, the fader movement roughly correlates to the leds from -3 to +6.

2. It did a bit at first, but in the end I prefer it that way. I rarely boost EQs and cut them off most of the time, so it gives me a reference level that I know my track will never exceed => tighter gain/level control. If I really want to see what it's like with EQing I just cue the channel and see how it behaves on the master monitor (eventually with split cue to compare with the main).
    I might look into that pre/post internal jumper thing though.

3. They did for the first couple hours. I had a three hour practice set on it when I installed the mixer and the doubts faded away

The only thing that still bothers me is the cue channel not being routed through the filter, but I'm starting to get a feel on where the filter knobs should be at without hearing a channel I'm bringing in.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 09-01-2011 at 01:26 AM.

1. You get used to it....
    2. I always use split-cue and look at the main meters to match the volume, so doesn't bother me at all...
    3. Nope, I dearly love my 42.....ohhhhh, my precious......
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I have a Xone 42 which I have spent maybe 1-2 hours on before I was called away for work to a completely different state. I have been there for several months and was just told I will finally be going home in a week or two.

I am so excited to muck around on my Xone but wanted to ask a few questions about it.

1. Do the logarithmic volume bother you? Coming from a Pioneer they are much different.

2. How about the pre-fader leds for volume monitoring. EQs do not affect it, so using your ears is especially important. Does that bother you?

3. Do these two issues turn you away from it, or do the sound quality and filters make up for this...

I know at the end of the day, it is what "I" like. I just wanted to see you opinions too.
    I hear ya!

I went from Pioneer (standard at my house...mates houses and residencies) to using an Xone:42.

I found the EQ's strange as I had never DJed with a 4 band EQ before. Read up on it after I fucked up a few transitions....and sorted that problem out.

The volume was a bit wierd too....cuz it goes past the 0 mark...and was not sure if I should put em all the way up....or just to the 0.

*LOLOLOL...looking back now*

I was used to pounding the Pioneers....

The first time i played on the Xone:42 was at an outdoor gig....few thousand peeps.

So I am jamming and all of a sudden...i touched SOMETHING.....and the 1st channels lights went out. Man....I started to look around for the sound guy.....no where....started to try and see on the mixer (was 2am...real dark)...nothing!

My transition was coming up....30 secs........PANIC.....then finally found the button I pressed by mistake at the top of the channel.

Made it in time to pull the mix off.....WHEW!

I went home the next morning and GOOGLED the fuck out of it.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    I hear ya!

I went from Pioneer (standard at my house...mates houses and residencies) to using an Xone:42.

I found the EQ's strange as I had never DJed with a 4 band EQ before. Read up on it after I fucked up a few transitions....and sorted that problem out.

[…]
    You sure about that?

@ Topic:

Some dislike the fader curve and can never get used to it. Fits me well though

And you guys have pre eq cue? I got mine used and it sure has post eq cue.

The gain control by ear does work pretty good.

Something important too: The led strips show what the signal strength would be if you had your master/booth turned all he way up to 10, so the signal led strips are all relative.
    Last edited by Ando; 09-01-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    And you guys have pre eq cue? I got mine used and it sure has post eq cue.
    I think the OP was only refering to the channel VU meters.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    You sure about that?

Indeed a 4 band EQ....but its the 92...not 42!

Just picked up my Xone:22 from the shop.

3 more hours till I can go home and play on it.

Gonna have to shuffle my whole setup now....ARG.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast