What keeps you faithful?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What keeps you faithful?

unsure if there was a thread similar prior to this... It seems as midi controllers are a dime a dozen these days, and their functionality with effects, simplicity, software integration, beat juggling etc. is massive. Yet I am hesitant to make a full transition over to them. I have found in the past, mixes I have recorded using a midi controller compared to cdjs are not as enjoyable. The element of beatmatching plus adding creativity with mixer effects is what does it for me. What has kept you from selling the cdjs/turntables for an all in one solution?
    2 CDJ 2000nxs - DJM 900 - M-Audio BX8A Monitors - KRK Rokit 5s

Exactly as you said - it's still more enjoyable for me with the old tools so I keep them around; plus I'm fortunate enough to have the means to not have to make choices between pieces of equipment -- I have both a vinyl setup and (too many) midi controllers. But I learned on vinyl and I love the feel of vinyl and everything about vinyl -- I'm not sure I would feel the same if the choice was between CDJs and MIDI controllers since you have controllers that feel exactly like CDJs, and there's just not the same intrinsic physical pleasure handling CDs that there is handling vinyl. Honestly flipping through a book of CDs at a gig feels to me too much like reading a catalog or something. Whereas flipping through a stack of LPs or 45s is always kind of exciting to me, even though it can be nerve-wracking too.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Exactly as you said - it's still more enjoyable for me with the old tools so I keep them around; plus I'm fortunate enough to have the means to not have to make choices between pieces of equipment -- I have both a vinyl setup and (too many) midi controllers. But I learned on vinyl and I love the feel of vinyl and everything about vinyl -- I'm not sure I would feel the same if the choice was between CDJs and MIDI controllers since you have controllers that feel exactly like CDJs, and there's just not the same intrinsic physical pleasure handling CDs that there is handling vinyl. Honestly flipping through a book of CDs at a gig feels to me too much like reading a catalog or something. Whereas flipping through a stack of LPs or 45s is always kind of exciting to me, even though it can be nerve-wracking too.
    it must also be like music preference, as the kind of music you will always enjoy most is the music during your adolescent years when music really became a passion.

Nothing did.

I went controller and eventually regretted it. And went back.

Tech Mentor

I never really cared for manual beatmatching - I don't get enjoyment out of the traditional "feel." Probably because I got into it when controllers were first starting to get popular. To me, it's a lot of big, heavy equipment with few features and on-the-fly flexibility. Controllers and software make the basics easy so that I have more time to concentrate on the music.

When I use my CDJ's or my 1210's along with my S4, all they are good for are acting as giant jog wheels. lol. They look cool but I don't even touch them unless I mix some hip hop. They are fun, though.
    Last edited by sss18734; 02-24-2012 at 03:18 PM.

I started out using nothing but the keyboard on my laptop. I ended up getting a controller which made my life, at the time, much easier. I've always wanted TT, so within the last few months, I've gotten one TT, a mixer, and TSP. I have to say, even though it's only one TT, I've had more fun mixing on that single TT than I have with my controller. I honestly can't wait to pick up another TT to complete the set. I feel like I'm a lot more busy on TT then I am with a controller, which is a very good thing. I guess it comes down to what type of music you play more. I'm not big on effects and long transitions, so keeping busy on beat matching is a better option for me. I have to say though, it's very tough going controller to TT.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    What the hell do people listen to? I listen to music that evokes emotion beyond "let's get hammered and bounce around in front of strobe lights".

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Try using a HID controller and manually beatmatching, using regular MIDI is just makes the task too painful. I've been using only controllers for the past 4ish years.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Try using a HID controller and manually beatmatching, using regular MIDI is just makes the task too painful. I've been using only controllers for the past 4ish years.
    I have tried this, but unfortunately I always have latency issues on both traktor and serato. Jog wheel to music response has improved, but latency on the cdj is terrible. Maybe if this gets corrected i will eventually see the best of both worlds.

For maybe its that I been spinning since 82, learned on 12's and will always love 12's......
    I like what the controllers can do, but just cant take them seriously.....

Thats why I went hybrid.

I have 2 rigs....and can mix and match as I like.

2 TT's....DVS....APC80 Midi Controller....Xone22 with Innofader.....you can go buck wild!

TSP2....TSP2 + Ableton.....etc
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast