all you windows guys, i need a little help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default all you windows guys, i need a little help

hi guys, i've had an absolute nightmare weekend so far and we're only half way through it!

Here's what's happened...

on thursday i was doing a virus scan and clean up of the laptop, (i know on the day of a gig isnt ideal however i didnt have time during the week) Avast detected one threat, removed it and then said that i needed to restart my computer to take effect... so... i restarted and got the message windows was unable to start, launch startup repair.. did that and said that it was unable to recover a serious error had occured. so instead of fu*king about i switched my drivebay hdd into my other laptop and went to the gig with that. (luckily it ran ok for the night).

once i got home i put my dvd drive back in and ran the recovery disc, only to find that it tells me that windows cannot recover. its now 5am on friday morning and i have a gig in 14 hours, my day job in 4 hours and i'm starting to panic. I called microsoft and they told me that the only option was to do a fresh install of windows ( i would like to add that the customer service was second to none! very helpful and he called me back half an hour later once it had re-installed and re-activated my product key for authorisation.)

all seemed well, and i ran last night with it, allbeit with an extra cdj set up with a mix cd in and the backup laptop switched on ready for me to switch to if i ran into a problem. everything went well and i had an absolutely brilliant gig, the busiest night we've had for months.

this morning when i switched on my laptop to look back over my playlist i get two error boxes showing up on my desktop after an hour or so, one says : "efm sys file corrupt, rmorsm.dll not registered" and the other i've forgotten :P i went onto the windows 7 forums and found someone that had a similar issue and they said that run a "SFC /SCANNOW Command" which will apparently find and fix any issues, i did that and it did not find anything wrong.

Any ideas??

I'm also experiencing much shorter battery life and the fan seems to be running all the time...

sorry for the essay i'm just a bit worried and want to get this sorted as soon as possible.

cheers.

edit: i forgot to add i'm playing tonight and tomorrow also, and have a gig on tuesday i really need to get this sorted.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Guru

Can you boot up in safe mode? If you can, then I would do that then I would go into the control panel and restore windows to previous time and choose a time when you know everything was working and before you think the "virus" was maybe present.

hi, it wouldnt let me boot into safe mode, it wouldnt boot at all, thats why i had to do a clean format and install, the virus is now gone and i have a new version of windows however im now getting these dll issues

Tech Guru

That sux. Didnt realize you already re-installed. Have you gone and re-installed all the drivers, or did the disk you use have them all on there? If it didnt then your screen should look all weird and your wi-fi and stuff like that shouldnt work. As for the fan, nothing in BIOS would have been changed so maybe go to task manager/ then to resource monitor and see if there are some processes that are getting hung up and clear em.

i had to re install all drivers, it was an absolute nightmare, , i have now reinstalled service pack 1 and the fan seems to be running much better, still have the dll problem though, it doesnt seem to be having any side effects though thats whats confusing

Tech Guru

There's a bunch of other free software that cleans or fixes DLL errors besides the one that I think you already tried. I never had to use them, worth a shot maybe

If that was me, I'd dual boot if I were you. 1 partition strictly for DJing.

What websites are you going on nowadays to get viruses? They're so 00's.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    If that was me, I'd dual boot if I were you. 1 partition strictly for DJing.

What websites are you going on nowadays to get viruses? They're so 00's.
    haha well y'know.... on a serious note though thats not a bad idea, i hadnt thought of it, only problem i have is i use a 60gb ssd for my os, 26gb is in use for win 7? have you any idea how much xp on a smaller partition would need?

also i store everything else on my 500gb in my drive bay
    i presume that i would still be able to access that as normal?

cheers for the help

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    haha well y'know.... on a serious note though thats not a bad idea, i hadnt thought of it, only problem i have is i use a 60gb ssd for my os, 26gb is in use for win 7? have you any idea how much xp on a smaller partition would need?

also i store everything else on my 500gb in my drive bay
    i presume that i would still be able to access that as normal?

cheers for the help
    Depends how much RAM you use... 64 bit XP wasn't overly good, so just use an optimized (http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...dio+processing) clean, updated install of windows 7) Yeah, you'll still be able to access that as normal.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Wizard

Constant dll errors can indicate faulty RAM; BSODs that prevent windows are usually caused by faulty/missing drivers or system files, or bad sectors on a harddrive. If you're using an SSD, more than likely you had a rootkit that infected a necessary file for windows to load, and when Avast yanked it out, your computer couldn't boot. If that ever happens again, PM me and I'll send you a program that can scrub the rootkit out while leaving the computer intact.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast