Does anyone else practice out of their car?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Does anyone else practice out of their car?

I went to the skate park today, for the third time, to practice. I hook my Mixtrack Pro (don't laugh, I'm new, and it works for me!) up to my 4-channel front-/rear-amp and my mono sub-amp, connect the Mixtrack Pro to my laptop, start my car, open my doors and begin my set. I always do nonstop, unrehearsed sessions; I think today must've been four or five hours. Mostly house, some techno, some hip-hop, some dubstep, mostly house. The people skateboarding and biking seemed to like it. I had a few people come over and introduce themselves and mingle a bit.. other people gave thumbs up when I'd glance at them.

So... anybody else do anything similar?

Tech Mentor

I've never even thought about the car, but I have been thinking about how to busk as a dj haha - but that sounds pretty dope - depending on the type of neighborhood, I bet they enjoyed it, too.

how much fuel do you use up, though? (lol)
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Glad I'm not the only one using my sweet car audio system as a mobile PA
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

thats what those tonium pacemakers are cool for
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I've done this. I have an iPod adapter for my deck, which is actually just two female RCAs. the real fun comes when I go on road trips; the girlfriend drives, while I dj with a laptop at my feet (with the required car power adapter), the VCI-100 on my lap, and the Audio 4 stuck in the glovebox, along with a portable usb 2.0 hard drive. I've played for two hours at a time like this. It's awesome!

You run your car for five hours while you play, doesn't the exhaust about kill you?

My battery would be dead if I left my stereo play without the car running to charge the battery.
    nope.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    You run your car for five hours while you play, doesn't the exhaust about kill you?
    as long as he isn't in a garage or shop there is no difference then being stuck in traffic. Mother nature is a beast.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

I dunno, I guess I'm just sensitive...standing near the trunk with the car running would knock me over after about 5 minutes. I guess standing near the front of the car would solve that issue. *shrug*
    nope.

Tech Wizard

My car is pretty good at killing the smell of exhaust fumes, but I can definitely understand why you'd ask that question.. If my car were burning oil or something, it'd be pretty horrible.

As for burning fuel, the first time I did this, I did a 2-hour set. I didn't know how much gas I'd burn up, so I put in 10 gallons (half a tank, I was on E when I got to the station). After I finished up, I still appeared to have half a tank :O

So yesterday, I tried again. I put in about half a tank, did my 5 hour, and I think I maybe lost a gallon. More testing required, but it's cold today and kinda raining. Yesterday it was about 66 outside and clear.

Here's a pic of my old setup (it's nothing to look at, but it works):

Two foldable TV dinner tables haha. They were killer on the back, and I didn't have enough space for my game controllers so I couldn't use cue points. To rectify the problem, I bought a 4' folding table meant for camping that extends up to 36" high from overstock.com ($49 shipped), and built myself a Laptop stand:

With the new table, my Mixtrack is at the perfect height so I can control it without bending over at all, and my laptop is right at eye level so I don't have to look down at it. The only issue I had yesterday was the brightness of the laptop screen; wearing white made it hard to see the screen because I could see my shirt's reflection (glossy screen), but the problem disappeared around nightfall. I can replace the screen on my laptop but it wasn't impossible, so I'll just see how it goes. Besides, it makes it so I have to beatmatch by ear when I can't see traktor clearly hah!

I'll take pics of the new setup (I also bought 20' cables so I could be further from the car).

And yea everyone seemed to enjoy it. People driving by slowed down to look and listen, people exercising (running/biking) gave smiles and waved. I even had a lady come up and ask if I wanted to perform at a blue's festival in May. Erm... is it possible to mix Blues music?
    Last edited by WTFumbles; 02-27-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Oh yeah, most cars won't burn much gas just idling.

Many many ages ago when I was still in high school, my car was usually the stereo for outdoor field parties. It would run for hours and hardly any gas would be gone. Gas was also $1/gal back then, so it didn't matter so much.
    nope.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast