Midi Fighter 3D? - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I understand a lot of djs aren't the 'rocking out' type, lol. I am definitely not. But I can see using the accelerometer features in a normal way.

A lot of monomes have accelerometers, and those aren't thought of only for 'rocking out'.

The viddy of Ean rocking out with it is him doing his style. And probably also meant to showcase the extremes of posibility. But I don't think it's the only way the 3d feature would be useful.

Also, the RGB buttons, new build design, and extra shift buttons look awesome!
    !
    Vista | Traktor Pro 2 | VCI-400 EGE | VCI-100 Arcade | MF Pro Beat Masher | MidiFighter Classic (pics)
    Soundcloud

i love the new buttons, but as other people said.. waving it around just isn't my taste lol

Tech Guru

Looks professional and sleak for sure.. But i dunno about the accelerometer functions.. Probly not something id get much use of unless it was wireless..

In one pic, they got a lil wireless usb plug... Is that real? How does it power the unit? Im guessing its a photo since they have the wire plugged in on the vid.

Im sure the mapping will be pretty nice too.. All those presets! Id buy one if the mapping:
    A) gives almost as much functionality / variation as the beatmasher pro mf.
    B) the led feedback is visually useful - might be cool to give u visual feedback on the combos somehow (i can never remember cmbos so i dont use them now)
    Last edited by kevz718; 02-27-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Tech Mentor

I think it would be cool to have some kind of lazy susan/ arm acessorie to help you use other gear at the same time.

They were originally looking into making this wireless from what I could tell; there was a similar video a few months ago and a couple pages of speculation in the forum as I recall. This is something I was working on about a year ago (the wireless thing, not the accelerometer) with a MF classic. I have a guitar hero controller that is perfectly wireless with a USB dongle; it sends IR signals like a TV remote and it works fine. But strangely enough you can't just buy the wireless mechanism itself - I would love to buy a USB dongle and a little remote interface that could be added on to any project to make the controller wireless; but the best I could find was going from USB-MIDI on the controller and getting a MIDI wireless and then MIDI-USB on the computer. But clearly somebody manufactures something like this since they're in guitar hero controllers. No idea how to find one on the open market though.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

ean could/should tap into this technology.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Guru

Must have been dreaming.. All the pics show a wire.. I thought i saw a wireless usb thing attached to it... My bad.. Would be cool tho..

Tech Guru

Just read skratchworx article on this.. Cool idea there about using something like this to interact with lightshows/lasers at club.. Would really turn this into a focal point for interacting with a crowd.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Skirmitt View Post
    Why didn't they make it wireless with bluetooth for example ? It's easy to implement and the latency is good enough for a button controller like this. Perhaps that will be something in the future, if they can make this they can make it wireless :-)
    Keep up the good work DJTT !
    I've been experimenting with wireless MIDI and in my experience bluetooth has three problems:

1. Latency is terrible when a lot of data is being streamed. Probably not an issue with the MF3D, since it only has buttons, but would certainly be a problem if it had knobs or faders.
    2. The biggy: bluetooth has no notion of MIDI like USB does. That means the only way to get it working is to either use some kind of bluetooth-to-midi bridge program (I've done this) or writing a driver. A driver is the more fool proof version for the end user and is the only real solution for a consumer device, but adds a lot of development, support and maintenance work (ie its an expensive option)
    3. Adds to the cost of the controller - I imagine DJTT were trying hard to keep the costs down and adding any kind of wireless would definitely have brought the cost up a bit more

The lack of HID compliant MIDI on bluetooth I think is the real deal breaker for bluetooth. The best option, for the end user and for latency, would be to build a USB base station and communicate wirelessly between the controller or base station.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    No idea how to find one on the open market though.
    I've spent a lot of time over the past six months looking into various wireless solutions (not just for MIDI) and I think the only real way to get anything at a decent price is to order direct off the manufacturers (in bulk) - most are in China. No idea if theres a ready-to-use product already available though.
    Last edited by guywithknife; 02-27-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guywithknife View Post
    I've been experimenting with wireless MIDI and in my experience bluetooth has three problems:

1. Latency is terrible when a lot of data is being streamed. Probably not an issue with the MF3D, since it only has buttons, but would certainly be a problem if it had knobs or faders.
    2. The biggy: bluetooth has no notion of MIDI like USB does. That means the only way to get it working is to either use some kind of bluetooth-to-midi bridge program (I've done this) or writing a driver. A driver is the more fool proof version for the end user and is the only real solution for a consumer device, but adds a lot of development, support and maintenance work (ie its an expensive option)
    3. Adds to the cost of the controller - I imagine DJTT were trying hard to keep the costs down and adding any kind of wireless would definitely have brought the cost up a bit more

The lack of HID compliant MIDI on bluetooth I think is the real deal breaker for bluetooth. The best option, for the end user and for latency, would be to build a USB base station and communicate wirelessly between the controller or base station.
    What about the accelerometers? they are practicaly the same as an potmeter
    DN-X1600 | 2x X1 MKI | APC 20 | MC-505 | MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | XBoard 49

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast