Dell Studio XPS 16

Default Dell Studio XPS 16

Anyone have any experience with these? Have one here new in box through my black market connections at only $400 bucks. Following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (3MB cache/2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB) w/2.0MP Integrated Webcam
    4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (2 DIMMs)
    Blu-ray Disc Combo (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM)
    512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3670
    16 inch Edge-to-Edge HD Widescreen WLED LCD (1366x768)
    320 GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Looking to replace my old HP Laptop. Was looking at Macbook but this seems like a sick deal to pass up. Never owned Dell before and need a new DJ Laptop.
    1st Setup (Main rig)Dell Studio XPS 1640 2nd Setup (Hotel & Living Room Parties, Kick backs etc.)MSI Wind U110 Intel Atom 1.6ghz Dual Boot Mac OSX 10.6 and Widows XP SP3 Accessories Native Instruments NI Audio 8 Traktor 3.2.2 Vestax VCI-100 v1.3http://www.myspace.com/syphic

Tech Guru

Not EXACTLY the same computer, but I just sent a Dell Studio 15 back to Dell because of impossible to address DPC issues. I ended up going with the XPS 1530 and it's a night and day difference.

The culprit in the Studio line computer I had was it's motherboard. Apparently, it's an ODM board manufactured by Gigabyte, and these boards all have an issue where DPC spikes to around 5K every 4-5 seconds, and nothing you can do (including booting off a LiveCD into Debian) will fix the issue.

That's a hell of a price, so you're easily able to recoup your money if it turns out to have the same flaw, but I'd say go for it. If you can test it first even better. I've had amazing luck with Dell in the past except for that computer, and they were great about letting me return it, so I have nothing to complain about.

Just grab the DPC latency checker and throw it on a thumb drive. On the computer you're testing, turn off wifi and bluetooth and run the program. If you see regular spikes in the red, pass on it. If you see more random looking yellow spikes and maybe a single red one here or there , those can normally be tweaked out.

Update.....So Dell release a new Bios update and I ran the DPC Latency Checker and No Red bars at all!!!!! Nothing goes higher than 437 and even when it hits that high its like every 3rd minute.
    1st Setup (Main rig)Dell Studio XPS 1640 2nd Setup (Hotel & Living Room Parties, Kick backs etc.)MSI Wind U110 Intel Atom 1.6ghz Dual Boot Mac OSX 10.6 and Widows XP SP3 Accessories Native Instruments NI Audio 8 Traktor 3.2.2 Vestax VCI-100 v1.3http://www.myspace.com/syphic

Banned

Sick deal mate, good find!