whistling stylus ?????????
    Tech Mentor

Default whistling stylus ?????????

one stylus is whistling, but the same stylus is not whistling. it doesn't always whistle but like when stylus placement is near the outside of the record, it whistles more than it being placed in the middle. anyways what does this whistling mean and how does this effect my records?

cart = Shure Whitelabel DJ Turntable Cartridge
    2x numark TT's, djm350, and vinyls/records and that's all i use man.

Timecode? DVS?

If so, its the signal it sends that you are hearing.

Put a normal vinyl on and turn off your amp. Listen to the sound it makes.
    You can hear the beats ....right?

Now a Timecode vinyl sends a 2KHZ signal....continious....which is why it sounds like whistling.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

sarasin's got it. You're hearing the diamond vibrate against the pits and bumps of the groove. The resultant air compression creates the whistling noise, which is in fact unamplified music (or timecode signal if the case may be).

- Take one deck. Put timecode on said deck. Whistling occurs.
    - Take timecode and put on other deck. No whistling.
    - Swap carts. Try timecode again. Whistling?
    - Repeat with vinyl.

Typically we'd say it's the tune. But, if the parameters are mostly the same but only occuring on one deck with the wax and same needle, suggests to me that one of the needles might be off-axis.

If it's happening on the same deck with different needles, the tonearm could be skewed.

As such, get it replaced. Don't want it cutting a groove that wasn't already pressed in to the wax.

Tech Mentor

i use records, no dvs. and its only one needle the whistling sometimes happens. which i was thinking of upgrading the stylus soon.

Tech Guru

Never heard of this on regular cut vinyl before.

Definitely try what Johbremat suggested. I'm anxious to hear if it is something other than a bad stylus.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Wizard

The Whitelabel is hitting the edge of the record. The blue plastic part of the needle is making contact with the record. It has low clearance.

I had this happen to me, the reason I moved to the M44-7's

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dskreet View Post
    The Whitelabel is hitting the edge of the record. The blue plastic part of the needle is making contact with the record. It has low clearance.

I had this happen to me, the reason I moved to the M44-7's
    yes the blue plastic part is making contact with the needle because if not, then it would struggle to move the arm. i purchased two new whitelabel and instead they seemed used since the screw was stripped. i have an idea that just maybe extending the cartridge forward would allow me to raise the blue plastic piece from touching the record.

so its the blue plastic piece making the noise? not the stylus?

my other whitelabel doesn't make the noise. and when i exchange the bluepiece/stylus to different cartridges, it seems to be that one blue plastic piece.

Tech Wizard

Yes it's the blue piece not the actual stylus, same thing only one Whitelabel did it