First time DJ gig at a Club
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default First time DJ gig at a Club

Hey guys I have my first gig coming this Friday downtown Toronto. I've been told I'm good at mixing but still honestly very nervous. Any tips on how to boost myself and how to throw a sick session?

Playing through:
    Macbook Pro 13 inch
    Pioneer DDJ-T1
    Traktor Pro 2

Cheers

Tech Mentor

Where you playing?
    13" MBP | Xone DB2 | Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 X Denon DN-S3700 | NUmark TTX| NI MASCHINE MK2 | ABLETON PUSH

Just try and have a good time.

Remember that even if you make a mistake, you're not playing to an audience of DJs and it's highly likely no one but you will notice. Focus on song selection, not just mixing technique, and try to feel what the crowd is enjoying.

But most of all, have a good time.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

i was nervous as hell for my first gig, the hardest thing is getting that first few people dancing... once they do... start enjoying yourself and the rest will suddenly come naturally. christ i still look back the next day to see what i played the night before... i stop thinking and just play i know it sounds odd but it just kinda happens..... good luck!!
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Wizard

I have to agree with everyone above, focus on the music and less on mixing. I've seen people just drop mixing or radio style mixing and still get a place bumping. Get comfortable and get the place moving, the start to focus on getting the mix tight. Where abouts are you playing? I could come for moral support!
    2x CDJ 900 | DJM 900 Nexus | TSP2 | 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz | KRK RP6 | Sennheiser HD 25-1 mkII

Tech Mentor

1) Relax and focus on song selection. But don't stay glued to your computer screen.
    2) Don't overwhelm yourself with complex transitions.
    3) Don't fall into the 128 bpm trap. Move the energy of the dance floor up and down frequently. I see many DJ's just staying at the same tempo for far too long and it gets boring.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the replies

@fullenglishpint I will do my best to overcome the lack of confidence at first but once I start loosening up I have high hopes of having sick drops.

@brian_johnstone Haha wow I can only imagine I'm sure you've progressed enough since that first performance though, no doubt. Thanks for the support bruh!

@Argos & @quality_control I will definitely have a sick track list ready to blow up the place. But yes, you are more than welcome. It will be at Cabin 5 (10-11:30)

@sss18734 That's exactly what I'm afraid of, it is more of a electro/prog house night. But either way I have already added a few decent mash-ups mostly done by myself in the set.

Guys one thing I wanted to ask was: You know how most 'Original Mix' tracks are 5-7 minutes long but that's with 2-3 drops, etc. What I was thinking would it be better to have Cue points, loop within that track then let it play (half-way in) Or just play the whole track with easy transitions?

you be fine, just practice and have fun. Ive been doing this since 93 and i still get nervous
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

i agree with above.

DON'T OVERWHELM YOURSELF WITH COMPLEX TRANSITIONS. they are not DJ they don't care how to mix in the next song. they just wanna dance.

Oh and another thing. you play all bangers *high energy songs* if you're the early slot dj *9-10*...because there will be no one there and that's just weird.

Tech Mentor

Good advice from kensic, you're playing a warm up slot so program your track selection accordingly. Your job is to set the mood, to warm the crowd up, get them moving and to set things up nicely for the next DJ. I presume you're not the headliner so I'd be tempted to leave the 'sick drops' to him. Warming up takes more skill and restraint in a lot of ways than headlining but a lot of beginners make the mistake of playing big tracks way too early...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast