How long were you spinning before you got paid? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Less than a year. When a promoter is making money off your hard work and reputation, its time to ask for some money, even if its gas money.

Tech Mentor

About 2 years now and still nothing. I still feel like I need more time to prepare to be honest, I'm not in a rush at the moment...though I'm hoping this year I'll get one gig.

At the guy who said 10 years...that makes me feel better.

I'd say about 2-3 months. I went out and played at a local bar and got paid 15% bar tab. Which was about 75-200 dollars depending on the night. Then continued other places and now resident at about 3 places, ranging for about 50-150 bucks a night. Around 50 or so dollars an hour.

3 weeks, i covered a night, and was given a residency once a month, then another night at the same club weekly, now playing 4 nights a week, the money isnt great but it is paying me and although i do have to play some top 40 it is only a bit thrown it with what i like playing.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Mentor

Don't really count the first 2-3 years that I was playing on Virtual Turntables (old school PC software) and with a keyboard. Cueing thanks to a audio splitter (left was my headphones, right was the output).

So that'd be.. about 3 years from when I first got my own equipment. Had CDJ's for the first 2 years, everyone considered it a joke back then... switched to vinyl, after 6-12 months I had a gig. Played progressive house (a la Sasha & Digweed) back then (in 2000-2001).
    13" Macbook Air (OS 10.8/256GB SSD/4GB RAM) | Traktor S2
    Latest DJ Recording: The Wedding Set (40 Minute House Set)

Tech Guru

First gig.

I had two portable CD players and a 2-channel mixer from Radio Shack. My band was supposed to play a frat party and our lead singer/guitarist had to go home for a funeral. I told the frat I was a DJ so they kept me.

They paid me $300.

I didn't seriously get into DJ'ing until a year later but technically it was my first gig!

Tech Guru

about 3 years, i was only 15 when i started so couldnt play in clubs legally...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Mentor

Not long enough... lol

Quote Originally Posted by rt24 View Post
    About 2 years now and still nothing. I still feel like I need more time to prepare to be honest, I'm not in a rush at the moment...though I'm hoping this year I'll get one gig.

At the guy who said 10 years...that makes me feel better.
    4-5 years for me and still nothing lol
    then again I was only tinkering with it for like a couple years before I got more and more into it.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Dj's get paid? Lol, probably since my second gig!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast