House Party Lighting Setup
    Tech Wizard

Default House Party Lighting Setup

I'm looking to get a small light setup a house on campus that has pretty regular parties. I guess it'd need to be similar to a mobile setup because we need a way to take the lights down during the week and nothing can be permanently installed.

I've been poking around the forum but havent found a really solid answer to my somewhat unique solution. The room is pretty small (a little larger than a standard living room) so I don't think it will take much to light it. It'd be nice to have some sort of feature light because that seems to be what a lot of the guys are looking for. Would it be okay to have just a feature light since there is ambient light from a black light and a bit of reddish light coming in from a side room. We just want a sound activated setup rather than DMX.

Unfortunately, my budget is pretty small (probably 300 max) but I'm hoping that will be okay because its a small room. Used is also an option so if you have something feel free to PM me.
    It seems like i've read good things about the American Dj Reflex Led Pulse, Chauvet Vue 6.1, and the American Dj Revo Rave. What are your opinions on these?

Also, would we need to get a rack/stand of some sort or would it okay to place the lights on a shelf against the wall?

Tech Mentor

A chauvet Vue 6 and a Chauvet colorstrip will fill up a living room quite well. I would know... I ran a pair of each in my college house

The higher up you can get them, the better.

If you don't want a wash light, just get a pair of Vue 6's or similar. $300 for a pair brand new, shipped.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    A chauvet Vue 6 and a Chauvet colorstrip will fill up a living room quite well. I would know... I ran a pair of each in my college house

The higher up you can get them, the better.

If you don't want a wash light, just get a pair of Vue 6's or similar. $300 for a pair brand new, shipped.
    I'm looking for lighting too and I am completely new to it. Would you need to buy a stand for those things? Or do they come with them?

ex. you'd need to buy one of these maybe?

http://www.moogaudio.com/chauvet-lig...28-p-2945.html

Any input on these things? They look straightforward and easy to set up:

http://www.moogaudio.com/chauvet-lig...ed-p-4813.html

1x LED >>> Amazon.com: American Dj Vertigo Tri Led Led Powered Effect Light: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519nl5MWcdL.@@AMEPARAM@@519nl5MWcdL

1x Scatter Laser >>> Amazon.com: Mini Sound Activation Starry Effects Laser Star Projector, Green & Red Lights, Laser Stage Lighting Especially Useful for Parties, Disco, Dances, Balls, Raves, Bars, Nightclubs, or Even Your Living Room: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PySFitbfL.@@AMEPARAM@@51PySFitbfL

1x Par Can >>> Amazon.com: American DJ PAR56 COMBO -Silver W/300W Sealed Lamp Par Can: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jWbf-ZrKL.@@AMEPARAM@@51jWbf-ZrKL

1x Light tree >>> Amazon.com: NEW Odyssey LTP6 9 FT T-BAR Pro DJ Tripod Lighting Stand W/ Support Bars & Bolts: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YkfWvmkVL.@@AMEPARAM@@41YkfWvmkVL

Gonna cost you about $225 off amazon, maybe $180ish off Ebay.

but this little light setup will have your house party lookin like a rave, especially if you decide to ever add a fog machine.

The Par can will color wash the room giving it an overall mood, then the scatter laser will keep things moving and keep those little stars dancing around making it intense, and the once the music is bumpin you have the LED for big beams to feel like the club.

my first light setup was similar to this and people loved it!

Goodluck

American DJ Aggressor Tri-LED fills up a room like you wouldn't believe
    You can find some fairly inexpensive scanning lasers from china that work just fine. I picked one up for $125, dual 50mw beams.
    a $30 fog machine will make your lights look x10 better in my opinion. I really hesitate to accept gigs that refuse to let me bring the fog, changes the lighting completely.
    Macbook Pro, Traktor Pro 2, VMS4.1, Akai LPD8, Numark Omni Control, Hercules MK4, Ikea Controller Stand
    Th3-Paint-House Soundcloud
    Like Th3-Paint-House on facebook

+1 for the ADJ aggressor tri LED
    have one and bring it to every gig people love it, its taken a beating and still works just fine.
    Also picked up a laser not long ago, but its just a cheapo $100 one, after i got that i had to buy some fog machines. Just so happens I realized this a week or so after I got the lazer which was right after halloween, went to the wal mart and got 2 on sale for the price of 1. Super simple set up but all I get is compliments.
    I also don't have any kind of lighting truss, I just find homes for stuff near outlets, propped in weird places. You can make it work without one, and its kind of cool having your lighting a little bit different each time from putting stuff where it works.

Tech Wizard

I like the lights that have 3 different lights in one. I use the ADJ fusion bar 5
    Traktor Z2, Denon SC3900(2), Kontrol F1, MidiFighter3D, HDJ-2000, Mixed in Key, Platinum Notes, Jack and Coke. (Previously- Rane 68, Traktor DJM-t1, Pioneer DJM-800, CDJ-2000s (2), Traktor S4, Stanton 150s)