A Quote from Steve Lawler...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default A Quote from Steve Lawler...

Do you think the spirit of rave culture as opposed to club culture is dead? Or could it come back?
    "It's just changed. And I have to be brutally honest here ... And this is something that I have wanted to say for a while now. Maybe it's not a direct answer to your question, but I don't believe "EDM" is even what we do. Dance music is not the same as house music. Yes, it makes you dance -- we all know that! But what I have seen happen in America in the last two years is the explosion of commercial pop-electro-dance music and so many people think it's the same culture, the same scene as what we do with house and techno, and it isn't! It so isn't. Just because they're both electronic produced tracks does not mean they should exist in the same scene. If I wanted to listen to pop music, I would choose a ballad or a rock song or something that just means something. This electro-pop-dance that all the R&B artists are jumping on is the worst music I have ever heard in my whole life -- cheap, no soul, no meaning. [It's] only made to make money. I don't even like calling what we do dance music, because some people think it's a part of that. What we do is house and techno, and it does have a meaning and a feeling. Just as it's always been, and just how it will always be for us that love house music". Steve Lawler

Pretty spot on if you ask me.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Words of wisdom!!
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

+1 Steve Lawler
    Xone DX, SE-DJ5000, Itch
    http://soundcloud.com/eizhauz

Words of wisdom from a legend!

I honestly didn't know Steve Lawler but i agree to his statement.

I totally agree..........but I also think house/techno is going that way too. With music being digital, its easy for anyone to come up with tracks, unlike the days of vinyl!

Alot of todays music regardless of genre is beginning to sound the same!

Liked Steve Lawler before.... LOVE Steve Lawler now. Good man!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Likewise.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Tech Guru

Amen
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast