Question about controllers (and perhaps DJing in general)

Default Question about controllers (and perhaps DJing in general)

Hello DJTT community,

Before I arrive at the point of the thread, I thought I would give a few details about myself.

I am pretty new to DJing, but as far as music goes I have been a musician for over a decade. I am a percussionist by trade and have studied a variety of styles and have learned different percussion instruments. I also have a relatively good working knowledge of music theory, but you'd have to give me some time to review how to do a harmonic analysis of a Bach chorale :P

I enjoy all sorts of music and don't particularly leave out any one genre even if 90% of the music inside that genre is music I don't personally enjoy. My attitude is that if the music speaks to me on some level then it's my kind of music. I realize that's a bit vague but I don't want to deviate from the thread some sort of essay on what certain music I like and why. As far as "spinning" in my free time, I'll mess around with anything, be it R&B, electronica, rock, house, or video game music (old and new). Of course, I couldn't say that I have spun anything really successful so far, but it's a good deal of fun making mistakes and having a few successes!

Getting to the point of the thread, I am intrigued by the prospect of a Midifighter Classic (the new 3D model looks neat, although it might be too much for someone like me), but I already have some equipment - namely a Vestax Typhoon and a Kontrol X1. I jumped on buying the X1 since NI had a deal to get Traktor 2 Pro too for free during the summer. Thus, I also have a nice piece of software.

I'd be looking to include the Midifighter Classic as my primary FX board, thereby making the X1 into my device for navigating through track menus and controlling samples (or anything else that I see fit, I suppose). I've seen the MF3D and while it does look like it would have a lot of potential, I believe I'd rather start with something smaller and more manageable. I still have a lot to learn about what I already have, which is why I might not need another device anyway. Are there any alternatives that I ought to consider? Any mappings for the devices that I already have that I should check out?

I am still a bit inexperienced as a DJ, but I will confess that I do not necessarily have aspirations to perform - I guess this relegates me to "bedroom DJ" status? I find myself quite interested though in the unique musical opportunities that DJing affords. I really am interested in splicing and manipulating songs to create new sounds - I am all about exploring, even if at the end of the day what I mix might be a little more conservative. The MF classic seems to me to be an ideal device for such exploration.

I was hoping the community could give me some insight or advice, whether it's about the MF classic or about DJing in general. It's great to have joined the community and I look forward to learning from you all!

Best,
    Ecs

Tech Mentor

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what?

Tech Guru

So get a Midi Fighter classic. The DJTT mappings are great and there are tons of user-submitted mappings in the forums. You can find them used in the Buy/Sell section pretty regularly. Watch YouTube videos too. There are lots of clever ideas out there. It's very versatile controller and I use mine at every gig.

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    So get a Midi Fighter classic. The DJTT mappings are great and there are tons of user-submitted mappings in the forums. You can find them used in the Buy/Sell section pretty regularly. Watch YouTube videos too. There are lots of clever ideas out there. It's very versatile controller and I use mine at every gig.
    Good deal, thanks for the input mate.