S4 or s2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: S4 or s2

Default S4 or s2

Im thinking of getting one of these dedicated controllers, what do you guys think, get the s2 right away, or save a lilttle more till the s4?

Im a 2 deck kinda guy, and if i wanted to trigger out samples or something i'd map them to my midi keyboard, seems like this answers the question, but i wanna hear something from you guys?

Tech Wizard

I saved for the s4 and I'm glad I did. (mainly because I use external decks sometimes)

differences from the s4.

Lacks control over effects units 3 and 4.
    Loop recorder control gone.
    The filter knobs are gone.
    Ability to switch decks (platters and faders).
    Loop length indicators.
    Cue points 5-8.
    Phono inputs (for DVS control). Hooking up external decks in nice.

The price is a lot cheaper though and may justify buying it over the s4.
    Traktor Z2, Denon SC3900(2), Kontrol F1, MidiFighter3D, HDJ-2000, Mixed in Key, Platinum Notes, Jack and Coke. (Previously- Rane 68, Traktor DJM-t1, Pioneer DJM-800, CDJ-2000s (2), Traktor S4, Stanton 150s)

Tech Convert

I had the exact same dilemna, but you should definitely save up for S4, when your saving that amount of money, you should wait till you can do it right.

Just think about what the S4 can do what the S2 can't and decide if this is stuff you actually need in your DJ sets.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I really like using filters and that, since they'e gone on the S2..but like you guys are saying, i might aswell save for the S4, and actually throw in sample decks on my Dj sets..

Well, if you can put up with patience, then wait until you have saved enough.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

a lot of the stuff the S4 can do that the S2 cant can be added to the S2 with a non-standard map (filters, 4-deck, etc)

S2 has booth output, S4 doesnt.

S4 external inputs only work if laptop is running
    keepin' it real since 1999... DJAdamDaniel.co.uk

you can easily fit the S2 into a carry-on roller bag.

With the S4 you less carrying options.

Tech Mentor

I was going to post in here last night, the only real difference the s4 has inputs and a loop length indicator. The S2 is easier to travel with, has a booth out, same software, much better price

The S2 can control everything the the S4 can, just add a map. The S2 map I make has more controls than an S4.

The S2 makes more sense to me, you still have control over the sample decks, and with the new controller from ni coming out soon, we wont be using the s2 or s4 for the sample decks. The money you save will buy the new controller

I do like the S4, but I went with the S2
    TSP 2, S2, Audio 8, Maschine, 1210's, Launchpad, iPad, Nocturn 25, LPD8

www.audioj.webs.com S2 users check it out

www.JigAudio.webs.com Maschine goodness & other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggle View Post
    I was going to post in here last night, the only real difference the s4 has inputs and a loop length indicator. The S2 is easier to travel with, has a booth out, same software, much better price

The S2 can control everything the the S4 can, just add a map. The S2 map I make has more controls than an S4.

The S2 makes more sense to me, you still have control over the sample decks, and with the new controller from ni coming out soon, we wont be using the s2 or s4 for the sample decks. The money you save will buy the new controller

I do like the S4, but I went with the S2
    I'll go with the S2 for reasons listed in this forums, seems like i can do whatever the S4 can with my S2 and some extra mappings. Plus saving like 400$ more is going to be hell of a long time.

BTW: think i could have this mappings you use for your S2?
    Last edited by JulianVeloso; 02-29-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast