Your most frequently used mixing tools/techniques
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Your most frequently used mixing tools/techniques

Hi, I was just wondering what general techniques or software features you consider essential to your DJ'ing. The reason I ask is because I'm a beginning DJ trying to make a custom midi mapping for an akai lpd8. With 8 buttons and 8 knobs, there are a lot of possibilities. I'm using a mapping someone else made right now, but I find I only use the cue points and effects controls primarily. I don't see myself using a lot of samples, but I do use looping for transitions between tracks sometimes. Besides EQ kills (which my controller lacks) and an echo freeze button, I'm wondering what other kinds of things I could incorporate into my mixing. I know there are threads similar to this, but just a general idea of what you use the most as a digital dj would be helpful to me.
    Last edited by Chrisku13; 02-29-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Cue points, loops, filters, beatmasher, build up effects, drop effects.

Tech Wizard

Alright, thanks. I should try out beatmasher more. I've only used it in group effects mode, so I didn't really have much control over it.

Tech Wizard

That's all? With so many people using midifighters and other kinds of MIDI equipment, I thought I would have gotten more ideas. I may just stick to using cue points, EQ'ing, and a little bit of effects until I become good enough to branch out further.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

eq, filters, subtle fx and hotcueing.

Tech Mentor

4 decks and a mixer. Thats about it really. I generally only use 2 decks at a time though.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

I love the echo effect on the midi fighter instant gratification mapping...probably too much, but I just got my midi fighter. It's handy when you want to change the bpm dramatically though.

Echo/filter out of current track...drop new track, boom!
    nope.

Tech Mentor

Good call on the LPD8! I have one, and have each program set to do different things. PRGM1 is my looping functions, PRGM2 is my effects section, PRGM 3 is Hot Cues and PRGM4 is sample deck control. I can send you the mapping if you'd like.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    Good call on the LPD8! I have one, and have each program set to do different things. PRGM1 is my looping functions, PRGM2 is my effects section, PRGM 3 is Hot Cues and PRGM4 is sample deck control. I can send you the mapping if you'd like.
    Would be interested to see your LPD8 mapping chap?

Tech Mentor

Acapella and clap loops can be gold if you want to get an audience going!

But for the most part, I do use a lot of filter, beat juggling, and light FX. I pre-cue most of my tracks so that I can skip over a large portion of it if the audience just isn't feeling it.

Something else I like to do here and there is slow the tempo of a song dramatically before the buildup and slowly speed it back up before the chorus or drop. You don't do anything fancy but it gives a song just a little bit more energy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast