The 'residents' gig dilemma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The 'residents' gig dilemma

So, Ive got this gig lined up which is 'residents' only, basically all the local talent of the dubstep and dnb scene over 2 rooms.
    Theres a lot of DJ's on and I only expect a 45 minuite time slot early in the night, which isnt much, but enough to put down a decent set.

Now, being a product of DJTT, I know my DJ 10 commandments and adhere to them as much as possible. The trouble is, the other guys dont. I'm totally expecting the first guy to start with the most distgusting peak time jump-up/drumstep/wobble-shit you can imagine and thrash the mixer into oblivion.

Leaving me feeling pissed off that the liquid dnb set I'd planned to warm up the room gently for the headliner, is pretty much pointless now.

This is one of the problems with nights like this, everyone wants to shine, everyone wants the most memorable set and biggest love from the audience.

So, the dilemma:

A. I smash the shit outta the room & put down all the best recent bangers & classics in an attempt to outdo them at their own game.
    B. I take a step back and professionally do my job.

Both have their benefits and pitfalls. I might impress enough people with a smasher of a set to land some late night spots in the local scene. Then again, saving the energy for the DJ's after me might be really appreciated. Or maybe just overlooked.

Quite the conundrum.

So, DJTT, help me understand which is the better option and why.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

though question,
    However if the mood already is up and it feels like the crowd is in peak time then go ahead and rock the fuck out of them, but if alot of club managers is there watching you it might be better to play a warm up set so that they notice your something different, special than the others and can control yourself, showing good manners.

just my thought

Tech Mentor

Just prepare for both. If the first guy is going all out and people are enjoying it, then play more maintime stuff. Chances are, the place will be pretty empty and the few people there will be confused and having a hard time conversing with each other. Then you can come in like a hero will your chill warm up set.

Quote Originally Posted by coupon View Post
    Just prepare for both. If the first guy is going all out and people are enjoying it, then play more maintime stuff. Chances are, the place will be pretty empty and the few people there will be confused and having a hard time conversing with each other. Then you can come in like a hero will your chill warm up set.
    yep, this! Watch the crowd and vibe off of them and do what works best. If the crowd wants more bangers go for it but chances are your liquid set will come in really handy.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coupon View Post
    Just prepare for both. .
    +Always

I always make a few sets so I can either warm up if needed or gets things a bit heated or just jump straight in with a main set.

45mins is a short set. Preparation is key to it being a great 45 minutes.

Balance what you want to play with what the crowd will expect at that time in the night and with what you think the promoter is expecting.

If you piss the promoter off you dont get booked again. No amount of bravado and "look at me" heroics will impress the promoter, especially if you piss the headliners off by smashing the big tunes.

If some other idiot plays bangers early on he will look like a tit. If you get things back on track the promoter will think "ah smart guy".

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Just work it backwards ... if he's trashing it too badly, subtly change it down a bit within 3 or 4 tracks, as a DJ you have the power to take the crowd where YOU want - 45 mins is short mind you. Pull your gains and master and get the engineers to up the sound their side, tell em beforehand thats your intention and to watch for your signal. Managers and headliner will most likely appreciate it.

+ 1 on acting spontaneous

but if possible meet up with the the DJs before the event and talk with them about the flow of the night..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    +Always

I always make a few sets so I can either warm up if needed or gets things a bit heated or just jump straight in with a main set.

45mins is a short set. Preparation is key to it being a great 45 minutes.

Balance what you want to play with what the crowd will expect at that time in the night and with what you think the promoter is expecting.

If you piss the promoter off you dont get booked again. No amount of bravado and "look at me" heroics will impress the promoter, especially if you piss the headliners off by smashing the big tunes.

If some other idiot plays bangers early on he will look like a tit. If you get things back on track the promoter will think "ah smart guy".
    Totally agree, plan for both. I suspect the guy on first won't look too clever if he's banging out the big stuff to a handful of early arrivals who've come for the cheaper entry and drinks.

This used to annoy me greatly when I used to do my own nights, I'd always ask back the chaps who understood the warmup slot. I'd already heard their peak time demo mixes so if things are going well I knew they could always up the level as required.

Adapting on the fly is the key in this situation IMHO. OP, you sound like you've got it spot on, best of luck.

Cheers

BTTF
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Ride the energy, bring it back, and build it back up for the next guy

Watching someone open properly for a headliner/later DJ's is something I always enjoy, and I know exactly what you mean. The weekly Thursday I go to (Elements in Cambridge) has some of the best resident DJ's I've ever seen, and they open proper everytime. Keeps people coming back IMO, besides the generic few who are just there for a humpfest.

Just do what you feel will work best
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk
    Now, being a product of DJTT, I know my DJ 10 commandments
    Good man.

I'm totally expecting the first guy to start with the most distgusting peak time jump-up/drumstep/wobble-shit you can imagine and thrash the mixer into oblivion.
    Leave him to it. A lot of punters will leave the room if that's the case. Might even be worth NOT mixing out of his last track and letting the vibe die completely before starting to build your own.

B. I take a step back and professionally do my job.
    You got it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast