Does your crowd appreciate live remixing/mashups?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Does your crowd appreciate live remixing/mashups?

Or do they seem to prefer just the straight tracks?
    onesheet.com/th0ughtcr1me
    spinning and creating hip-hop/electronic music

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by th0ughtcr1me View Post
    Or do they seem to prefer just the straight tracks?
    I'd say both. Its about dropping the tracks, and mashing them up at the same time. Sometimes however, I play mashups that I've already recorded just to be on the safe side.
    15 inch macbook pro - Traktor Kontrol S2 - Stanton T-60's - Traktor Audio 10
    I'm Dj Kave Check me out : )
    Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/djkave
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/djkavex Fan Page : )

if you mean live remixing as in destroying tracks with too many effects and pressing cues like an adhd kid, then no 90% of the crowd won't appreciate it... if you mean mashups like play the instro from "smells like teen spirit" and the acapella from "song 2" then yes any pub and bar (sing along) crowd will love it, It's pretty tacky in an underground club though, unless your going for the nextmen or too many dj's vibe, but it's still very risky with a chin stroking (purist) crowd as nirvana, ratm, muse, white stripes, killers et al. were done to death a couple of years ago
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

The beauty of pulling off a LIVE remix is that if its good enough... No one in the crowd would even know its being done live. I would think that 95% of people will just think it is a recorded remix. But that is how you'd want it to be...???
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    The beauty of pulling off a LIVE remix is that if its good enough... No one in the crowd would even know its being done live. I would think that 95% of people will just think it is a recorded remix. But that is how you'd want it to be...???
    I disagree. I feel that 98.99% of the general population with no prior DJ knowledge feel that you can really remix tracks live and that when you play a mashup it's you doing that shit live. They don't know the difference.

And even if you end up doing a crazy routine like one of Ean's with controllerism, most of the crowd won't appreciate what you're doing unless they watch you do it.

To satisfy that lust from the crowd I just use crazy effects with my MF Pro when I'm playing and pick up the MF Pro and go crazy with it, and the crowd eats that shit up. That's the only reason (My MF pro) that I have not moved away from Traktor to straight CDJs.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    I disagree. I feel that 98.99% of the general population with no prior DJ knowledge feel that you can really remix tracks live and that when you play a mashup it's you doing that shit live. They don't know the difference.

And even if you end up doing a crazy routine like one of Ean's with controllerism, most of the crowd won't appreciate what you're doing unless they watch you do it.

To satisfy that lust from the crowd I just use crazy effects with my MF Pro when I'm playing and pick up the MF Pro and go crazy with it, and the crowd eats that shit up. That's the only reason (My MF pro) that I have not moved away from Traktor to straight CDJs.
    I meant to say that 95% of the people wouldn't know the difference if it was done live or recorded.

I am sure you would know better then I would and as a party goer I've seen/heard a few mashes that were done well with a great reaction from the crowd. Im not talking about just an extra long transition, but an A to B to A to B to mash. On the other end I have watched friends DJ and have seen them drop a recorded mashup and have seen the same reaction
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

The Only Thing That Should Be Mashed is Potatoes
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

im not a fan myself but, if everything sounds right and not just a cluster f*ck of sounds. Also what helps is if its well known songs.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlaggard View Post
    The Only Thing That Should Be Mashed is Potatoes
    Couldn't disagree more.

Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

No.

That is all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast