Where to start DJ'ing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The point about not torrenting has nothing to do with the quality of the files and EVERYTHING to do with stealing from the artists! If you want to be a serious dj and get paid to do it then buy your music and practice..... A LOT!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Where to start ? The bedroom.
    Go for an ultra cheap midi controller. Maybe ask your DJ friends, they might have on lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by kilen View Post
    for real. that goes for everyone.
    i can really tell the difference when some guy has all lossless songs and then some guy follows him with 320k songs. it really kills the mood. :eek:
    320 vs. wav is a minimal difference on most club systems. Studio monitors it stands out a bit more, but still. On the other hand, a bunch of pirated mp3s will be "320" but are actually 128 re-encoded to 320 (which only serves to make the file size bigger; does nothing for the quality). You're better off buying from iTunes/beatport/wherever, but that doesn't mean you have to buy everything in lossless.

Tech Convert

I had only mentioned that I torrented a DJ book to read up for knowing nothing about DJing. I never once said anything along the lines of MUSIC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    inb4 Mostafa.
    LOL!

And yes, you start on you bedroom, with some used controller and googling this website completely.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Quote Originally Posted by jbernthold View Post
    I had only mentioned that I torrented a DJ book to read up for knowing nothing about DJing. I never once said anything along the lines of MUSIC.
    Not accusing you of torrenting music either (sorry if it came across that way), but you should be aware that talking about torrenting in general (or well, admitting to it), is quite frowned upon around here, and might make you er... "ostracized" from the rest of the community.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    320 vs. wav is a minimal difference on most club systems. Studio monitors it stands out a bit more, but still. On the other hand, a bunch of pirated mp3s will be "320" but are actually 128 re-encoded to 320 (which only serves to make the file size bigger; does nothing for the quality). You're better off buying from iTunes/beatport/wherever, but that doesn't mean you have to buy everything in lossless.
    Maybe it just me, but a few gigs ago I was talking with the other dj's, and some were saying the format they prefer, and it was this debate about lossless and just regular 'iTunes' or 'torrented' files, and it might have been a placebo effect, but I'm positive the lossless sounded so much better. It had much better highs and lows, and it didn't sound so compressed and limited.
    And it could have been the drugs...

Sorry for thread hijacking.

Seriously, start in your house like everyone else. Practice for a few months, learn how to mix songs, practice dj'ing in front of friends, and when your confident that you can play for a solid hour, then you go out and start networking.
    If college has taught me anything it's that networking is the best way to get a job.
    The same applies to finding gigs, it's all about who knows your skills, and who is willing to give you a chance.
    Last edited by kilen; 03-02-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12