New DJ

Thread: New DJ

Tech Student

Default New DJ

Hi everyone. I am new to this entire scene but have always wanted to become a dj. Hard work and my passion has got my foot in the door now and by that i mean i just got my first setup. I recently bought a brand new Numark NS6 and am using the recommended Serato Itch with a more than compatible laptop. Effects, cue points were an easy learn, but my issue is that of the rest of the controller's buttons/switches. Like i said im new to djing and i want to learn how to mix from track to track but find it a bit confusing. If anyone can recommend a tutorial vid for beginners with like the same setup or any tips or advice it would helP alot. Btw i play/mix house music. Thanks

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Welcome to DJTT.

You should first learn how to beatmatch by ear. Some say that this skill isn't necessary today anymore but most DJs agree that it is the most essential technical skill. BPM-detection by software can always fail. Then its up to your ears.

Therefore watch these basic mixing tutorials:
    http://www.djtutor.com/mixbasics

There may be better tutorials (he talks to his audience like they are toddlers or lunatics) but these get the job done.

Practice often and a lot. This alone should keep you busy for quite a while. During practicing you should focus on a single aspect like "now I'm beatmatching two tracks back and forth ten times" and not do everything at once. Take as much time as you need. You can easily set a loop on the NS6 if you need more time.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Actually a user on here made his own beatmatching video which is pretty good, but djtutor (ellaskins) is a very good DJing teacher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0FScwZTgTk
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

The last one is really super-entertaining. Also recommended to Djs who already have the BEatmatching-Skills

Tech Student

Thanks guys for the positive feedback and warm welcome. And yes i most definately wqn to beat match by ear and not even touch the sync button which my friend uses eqch and everytime. It doesnt impress me, but i will check the sites and vids you recommended. Thanks a bunch