Silent discos - who's done one? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Oh its easy to tell who is listening to which DJ.

You get a set of headphones so you can hear what the other guy is playing but wearing at the same time as your own headphone can get confusing. Wearing both sets at the same time is fun.

Those of you doubting the phenomenon of Silent Disco's, trust me people go MENTAL at them but its just not the same experience for the DJ... all you get to hear is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo3D6...eature=related

I've done a silent cinema before. Halloween was the film, playing warped Italo Disco on channel 2. Not sure how it went down...
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    What you genre are you going up against..?
    The other guy's supposed to be playing cheese and top 40. Everyone I talk to about it sober says 'oh, so you're playing the proper music then', but I know that after a few drinks it's going to be hard to tempt them away from mister fucking brightside.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Play bangers all night long.

Ive done loads of Silent Disco's.
    It is simply a singing competition (usually) and people want to hear songs they know so they can chant along in each others faces.

Ive done it them with one other DJ and ive done them with 2 other DJ's.

One time i was doing Indie and the other guy was doing dance and I ripped him apart by simply playing a load of songs that everyone knows the words to.
    People at Silent Discos love singing.

Another time i was doing dubstep,electro,D&B and one guy was doing rock/metal and another was doing Cheesey Pop. Apart from a few head-nodders the most people were dancing to a mix of the other guys cus they were playing fun music. Nothing much funny about the genres i was playing.

Mixing without a monitor is not my favourite way of DJing but if your tracks are gridded its easy with Traktor. Its just REEEEEEAAAALLLLLYYYY boring cus you spend most of the nite talking to the other DJ's and other clubbers that are taking a break.
    People stand around talking and EVERYONE gets the words wrong to the biggest tunes.

I have to get drunk to DJ and enjoy a Silent Disco these days.

What you genre are you going up against..?
    +1

Singalong all the way. I'll often dj just in my cans anyway at home so i find it easy to do. Just fading between master and cue and make sure you switch to full master as soon as you're in the mix.

Even if you're playing "proper" music make it fun and remixes of stuff people know.

When I did one i dropped this and it smashed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnuESiOt_yQ
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    mister fucking brightside.
    nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah... iiiii neeeevveeeer... lol
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Crazy, never heard of this.........its different!

I have done silent disco before, but not as a DJ though. It is amazing. You have 2 channels with different kind of music so you can choose or just change the channel according to the song. It is great fun because everybody is just dancing to the music that is playing in their headphones and nobody cares how do you move or anything.I highly recommend to try it

Tech Mentor

I was at one in Zürich right outside of the university, because of some laws they couldn't put up a real PA system...was amazing! insane view over the city and some nice sound

only 1 channel as well
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

@JSerena, you shouldn't have those ads in your signature.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

I think having more than one channel is a pretty dumb idea. To me the appeal of this is having a party at a time and/or location where you couldn't otherwise have one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast