Residency in Ibiza up for grabs... - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

MR Rufus, you just made my heart beat go past it safe limits. I think I know what you are looking for. I will send the house mix asap. I Hope that my local newspaper had jobs adds like this one....
    Y Olé...

is not everyone and their brother going to be all over this?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

I'm glad there seems to be a fair bit of interest in this, I'm just trying to make sure that the guys there end up with someone decent, as you always end up with some right numpties coming round with mix CDs trying to hustle for jobs - Ibiza may not be at it's height any more, but it doesn't stop everyone and their mum's from wanting to DJ here still.

So, answers to a few people's questions

Is the money enough to live on through the Summer?
    Yes, you'll get easily more than reps/barstaff/PRs on the island, and so long as you don't have a habit of going mental, enough for going out as well. My first Summer here, I went a bit mental, and went home more penniless than I arrived, the second year I'd got to know enough people to make things a lot cheaper for myself (so whilst the partying didn't slow down, it was costing me less).

Spanish Visas
    Basically, if you have an EU passport, all you need is an NIF number to be able to work in spain, which is just like your national insurance number. 2 mornings at the Police station and 6E will get you an NIF number.

Deadline
    ASAP - the bar is having some work done to it at the moment, and will be opening in around 2 weeks. I don't know how much interest there's going to be, so the sooner I get mixes, the more likely I'll be able to listen to them, as my residency starts as of tomorrow. Once I've sorted out the contenders, they'll get listened to by the manager (Jim) and probably 2 of the other previous Moby's DJs, from there we'll decide who's going to be best for the bar. As I said before, Jim is the best boss you could possibly hope to work for, and if you do end up getting the odd gig away from the bar, he'll do his best to make sure you can play it.

Jim will probably want a chat on skype with whoever we decide from the mix CD, but all going well with that, the job's you'res!

Music
    9 hours a night sounds daunting, but as Karlos said, these are holiday makers, so putting on a wildly different set every night is not really a priority. A good selection of classic house with some of the summers bangers thrown in for good measure will definitely get you by. Between the bar and myself, we've got a lot of the early evening stuff covered, so don't worry too much about that, it'll be the after 12pm stuff that really defines whether you're a Moby's DJ or not

There's a bit of a backlash going on against electro on the island at the moment, with things going a little bit more techy/dark, and Jim isn't too keen either, which is why I said a scattering is fine, but don't go over the top with it.

The Bar
    Moby's hasn't changed much in the 30 years since it opened, but the new owner is doing a bit of smartening up right now so he can get it open for the season, with the intention of doing a full refit once the season is over. I've seen the plans for the refit, and it looks like it's going to be a very smart wee place once it's finished, so whoever gets' the job and lasts the whole season will likely end up with a tidy wee gig for next season if they decide to stay on.

Any more questions, just let me know!

Fus

Tech Wizard

One more thing I wanted to mention for anyone thinking about sending a mix:

The music is way more important than the mix!

We're far more impressed by a bunch of well picked, blinding tracks that's maybe not perfectly mixed than we are by a technically perfect mix of the same blog house everybody else is banging out at the moment!

Also: this really is an ideal opportunity for anyone looking to 'up their game'. I learned more from the first 2 months of being at Moby's every night, and going out and seeing the best DJs in the world play on the island than I did in the 10 years just soldiering on and teaching myself previous to that. Every day you are surrounded by DJs here, so it's a really good place to learn how to take your sh*t to the next level.
    Last edited by RufusWhite; 04-23-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Yo man, thanks for coming in the forums and putting up your offer
    Hopefully a DJTTer snaps it up !

*packing bags* Ha, its would be sweet, but im stuck in Los Angeles for now.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Yo man, thanks for coming in the forums and putting up your offer
    Hopefully a DJTTer snaps it up !
    No worries man, just hoping I can give something back (you never stop learning, and I've learnt a hell of a lot from this forum, and the blog), and I know there's any number of talented, worthy DJs on this forum who might want a shot at something like this.

DJs are 10 a penny on this island, reliable DJs who don't have their head up their ass are harder to find.

Fus

Banned

Do you have any photo's of the place by chance? Would love to see what it looks like.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Do you have any photo's of the place by chance? Would love to see what it looks like.
    I'll try and get some photos over the weekend for anyone that's interested, I know Jim's got a lot - it's not much to look at, but as I say, they've got the builders in right now so it should be a bit more appealing when it's all done in a couple of weeks (although it's never stopped us having some wicked parties in there).

They're also refitting the booth, there's 1210's and a DJM600 down there already, and they're going to add a pair of CDJ400's. There's easy enough space for a laptop & midi controller, but whoever ends up being the resident will obviously be able to decide if they want to get rid of anything from the booth to make more space for their setup.

There's DJs on the street that will come down and have a mix (including myself), and you always get the odd tourist that will bring their CDs looking to have a mix, so don't think you'll be doing the whole summer just on your own!

Fus

Tech Guru

woah. awesome!!! i'll put something together

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast