Joining the dark side
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Joining the dark side

I am an avid traktor fan, being completely happy with my 1210's + Xone 22 setup + X1 setup but I have decided to get on the itch bandwagon.

For no other reason than there is no lightweight portable controller in the traktor camp.

I wanted,

Fully bus powered
    Lightweight
    Small dimensions
    Durable
    Tight hardware integration with software
    FLAC support

The only thing I miss out on is FLAC support which really pisses me off but over the New Year break someone at Serato confirmed that they were indeed working on FLAC support for the future.

I really needed a portable controller and after weighing on options for many months I decided to bite the bullet and join the serato crowd. Abe Duque's review on dubspot sealed the deal for me.

Haven't even opened the box yet but looking forward to exploring some of the cooler functions like slicer.

In the future I might run two copies of Traktor side by side, never ended up selling my second copy. Might come in handy after all.
    Last edited by Kaek; 03-01-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Tech Mentor

Opened the box and had a bit of a play. I found that the interface was not entirely intuitive so I decided to read the manual.

Only to find that the manual is wrong in a lot of cases... seems like itch 2.1 has really changed a lot of things.

I really couldn't live without flac support so instead of playing with the dang thing I've been spending all night converting my flac library to alac, reimporting it into traktor to analyse, do beat grids and import any missing covert art (which happens to randomly convert sometimes and not other times).

I had already started making my library a hybrid of mp3/alac but getting the twitch has pushed me to just mass convert everything.

My plan is once I have my library sorted for traktor I will copy the files over to my MBP from my desktop and then do the analyse thing all over again for itch.

This is not going to be fun trying to keep essentially 3 libraries in sync (PC traktor, OS X traktor, OS X itch)

I have to keep double copies of some files too as I'm finding there is a really nasty alac bug in traktor, which meant it won't read the damn file, even though it was originally a wav!

So a rocky start, I have a house party tomorrow, so i hope I will have absolutely everything done before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    there is no lightweight portable controller in the traktor camp.
    are you for real? I love my twitch and everything, but Traktor really is not short of small controller options...
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Default Joining the dark side

My friends reloop digital jockey 2 is smaller i think but heavier and sucks.
    The ddj-ergo is actually huge.
    Kontrol s2 is much heavier.

My main concern was weight more than dimensions. I only have 7 kg available for carry on luggage.

S2 really doesn't weigh much

3.4kg to be exact....

"Heavy" doesn't really come to mind.
    I blow stuff up

I'm trying really hard not to be "that guy" right now, but I'm working on a Twitch mapping for Traktor that will blow away the Serato mapping and (hopefully) give us Twitch owners a viable means of competing with the control powerhouse that are the S2 and S4. I've implemented tons of features, just about everything I can think of. Should be out soon

Traktor Pro 2
    -Macbook Pro 13"
    -Novation Twitch (Custom .tsi)

Welcome to the dark side

Sometimes minimalism is stronger in my experience, and I think you'll enjoy yourself. Playing around with something fresh also has some great value to it as well.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Welcome to the light - with both dj and production software I've grown so damn sick of constantly mapping and tweaking. Its nice to just turn on and go. Thats why I dig serato itch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    For no other reason than there is no lightweight portable controller in the traktor camp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast