Technics SL-1200 Stylus Illuminator LED
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Technics SL-1200 Stylus Illuminator LED

I own a couple SL-1200MK2's for which I want to replace the incandescent stylus illuminator bulb with LEDs. I was able figuring out the circuitry from the SL-1200MK5 service manual. However the OEM blue LED (RXQ1012) is over $15 which defeats the purpose of replacing the light bulb in the first place. Therefore I was looking for a cheaper equivalent LED but could not figure the voltage and current. Does anyone have the specs of the blue LED?

Tech Mentor

Just go to radioshack and get a 5mm LED, it will have the specs on the package so you can choose the right resistor.

I read somewhere that the voltage coming off of the main board to the pop-up is 20v, but after testing myself, i got 21.5v.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by herlsy View Post
    Just go to radioshack and get a 5mm LED, it will have the specs on the package so you can choose the right resistor.

I read somewhere that the voltage coming off of the main board to the pop-up is 20v, but after testing myself, i got 21.5v.
    Thanks for the response. However I am not sure that will work as the circuit of the MK5 is a little more complex than the previous models; it has a Zener diode mounted in reverse-parallel with the LED (the anode of LED connected with cathode of Zener, and vice-versa), assuming the Zener's purpose is regulating the voltage. There is also a couple of half-watt 2.2k resistors mounted in parallel (I would assume the aim is getting 1.1k, 1watt). I have seen posts and videos about replacing the lamp with a LED and it doesn't look like it's just a matter of placing a resistor in series with the LED, which is the reason why I am looking for the OEM LED specs; I don't want to blow the main circuit board...

Tech Mentor

I guess i misread, i thought you were putting LEDs in the mk2?

I think if you know your voltage coming off the mainboard, and are savvy with electronics, a voltage regulator and resistor could be done with just about any LED.

Are you looking for the specs just to get the right brightness or what?

If you have mk2's i would advise you to buy two 3mm LED's bend them at a 90 degree angle so the brightness shines onto the record and the resister should be averagely 1k ohm or 1.25k ohm..

Hope this helps. As i have just done it to mines.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by herlsy View Post
    I guess i misread, i thought you were putting LEDs in the mk2?

I think if you know your voltage coming off the mainboard, and are savvy with electronics, a voltage regulator and resistor could be done with just about any LED.

Are you looking for the specs just to get the right brightness or what?
    You read right; I do want to replace the bulb of my MK2 by an LED. I just wanted to use the Mk5 design to make sure I don't blow up the main board. The Mk2 and Mk5 roughly have the same voltage (20-22volts). Like I said I am looking for voltage and max current so I can find a similar LED...

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Liambo View Post
    If you have mk2's i would advise you to buy two 3mm LED's bend them at a 90 degree angle so the brightness shines onto the record and the resister should be averagely 1k ohm or 1.25k ohm..

Hope this helps. As i have just done it to mines
    You just put the resistor in series with the LED? Did you leave the original 1.5k resistor which is soldered on 2 poles of the switch?
    Are yours MK2's?

Quote Originally Posted by Phildefer View Post
    You just put the resistor in series with the LED? Did you leave the original 1.5k resistor which is soldered on 2 poles of the switch?
    Are yours MK2's?
    Yes mines are mk2's, and i replaced the resistor with a 1k ohm resistor and replaced the original lamp with a 3mm LED (3V) and bent it 90 degrees. Haven't got any pictures yet as i haven't assembled it all back together properly as i'm now working on the pitch fader and 33/45..

Oh and i'm an electronics engineer by day.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Liambo View Post
    Yes mines are mk2's, and i replaced the resistor with a 1k ohm resistor and replaced the original lamp with a 3mm LED (3V) and bent it 90 degrees. Haven't got any pictures yet as i haven't assembled it all back together properly as i'm now working on the pitch fader and 33/45..

Oh and i'm an electronics engineer by day.
    Thanks for the feedback. However looking in the Mk2 service manual I see that the 1.5k resistor is mounted in parallel with the switch. So when the switch is at the closed (on) position it short-circuits the resistor. Hence if I just replace the lamp by the LED it will not be protected which I believe would blow the LED and damage the main board... Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Phildefer View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. However looking in the Mk2 service manual I see that the 1.5k resistor is mounted in parallel with the switch. So when the switch is at the closed (on) position it short-circuits the resistor. Hence if I just replace the lamp by the LED it will not be protected which I believe would blow the LED and damage the main board... Am I missing something?
    Sorry you are correct on saying that, if you don't have a resistor that is parallel with the LED or none at all and you try to switch it on you will just blow out the LED

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast