movie quotes to samples
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default movie quotes to samples

So I have recently gotten into the whole loop and sound sampling functions in traktor. These are great for little personalized mixes when you are djing. But now I want to take this a step further and take quotes from some of my favorite movies and incorporate them into a set. Does anyone know a way to pull the sound from a movie (ex: a DVD) and convert it to a sound file that I could use it in a set?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djtmoks View Post
    So I have recently gotten into the whole loop and sound sampling functions in traktor. These are great for little personalized mixes when you are djing. But now I want to take this a step further and take quotes from some of my favorite movies and incorporate them into a set. Does anyone know a way to pull the sound from a movie (ex: a DVD) and convert it to a sound file that I could use it in a set?
    Which sound card do you have? It could be as simple as routing the RCA's from the DVD player to a channel on Traktor, and recording it.

Tech Student

If you have a Mac, you can use Audio Hijack to record from any application. Just play the DVD on your Mac and hijack the DVD player app. The free version will record up to 10 minutes:
    http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/

Most of the movie clips I used for samples were already up on youTube, so you might be able to bypass the DVD entirely.

like ss19789289183 said, run the audio outs of a dvd player through your soundcards inputs. Make a deck in traktor an input deck and record away. It would probably help to run the video out of the dvd to a monitor or tv for visual reference. Done it before.
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fitzyp View Post
    like ss19789289183 said
    lol. That's my name!

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Haha, I just did so. Dropped samples all over the mix.

Here's what I did:
    Ripped the audio-track from the BluRay, converted the dts-file to wave and fired samples off with a MPC 1000 during mixing with CDJs.

This is the result.
    Some examples are at the start, 18:20, 28:55 and 42:14.

Last edited by Afterhour Ali; 03-02-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Yeah, if you have a DVD ripper you should be able to pull the audio file...it's been ages since I copied a DVD though, I'm not familiar with the software though. Should be easy to find instructions...try the doom9 site.

Actually, here ya go:
    http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-117132.html
    nope.

route the audio through traktor
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Just so you know, you should only take the audio from the Center channel as that's 99.9% Dialog while FX and MX are all over the L,C,R,Ls & Rs. You'll still here a little bit of FX & Music in the center channel but mostly Dialog.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

off track for a second: hedghog, killer coverart mate grabbing that mix for that alone lol
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast