Transitions in between pop songs
    Tech Convert

Default Transitions in between pop songs

Hi Y'all,

I just had a quick question. I'm super confident with my beatmatching transitions, beat repeat, echo freeze, etc. Yet, when it comes to transitioning between two pop songs, I always seem to be resorting to the echo freeze and transitioning into the chorus of the next song. The keys tend to be clashing, so it's not the most pleasant transition of all time. Does anyone have any tips for primarily top 40 pop mixes? I'm trying to broaden my horizons.

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

Don't transition straight into a chorus? There aren't a lot of cases where this is effective. It can be done, but you should start the transition using a verse.

Tech Convert

Yeah, but most of the time it just sounds terrible with when the keys are clashing. Is there any effect I could use to lessen this?

Tech Mentor

Not using songs that clash seems to be the best way to deal with this problem.

Can you record a quick transition and post it for us so that maybe we get a better idea of what is going on?

Tech Guru

loop the intro of the next song, still have to beat match....
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    loop the intro of the next song, still have to beat match....
    +1

The easiest and simplest way is simply to loop the intro of track B during the chorus of track A and slowly fade them through. With a li'l practise it sounds fairly seamless.

If you're intent on echo freezing to the chorus I recommend MIK or BeaTunes to get the keys of your songs.