random control vinyl idea/concept?

Default random control vinyl idea/concept?

Ok so control vinyl is just like a regular vinyl where it gives you like 10 minutes or so per side to play. The grooves in the vinyl slowly spiral into the middle which means every 10 minutes or so you need to pick up the needle and move it to the outside of the vinyl and let it spiral in again.

Well for control vinyl has any one ever thought about makeing the grooves and perfect circle and not go in a spiral. This way once you place the needle into a groove it will just stay there the whole time your mixing and since control vinyl just relays a signal it wouldnt matter if the groove your in just repeats the signal.

I know its not like i could go and get vinyl like this, but do you think this was ever a concept so you dont have to pick the needle up and start from the outside again you can just keep rocking on traktor or serato.

Anything im missing on why this wouldnt work or reasoning why they kept it a spiral? just kind of a interesting concept i was thinking of let me know

Tech Mentor

Well... the innermost groove on the Traktor records are actually an endless loop. So you don't really have to constantly adjust.

The problem is, if you have just one groove, it would quickly wear out and accumulate dust to the point where it became unusable - that became the case with the innermost groove on my records. The advantage of the spiral is that most of the record wears evenly.

In addition, the tone carries other information that lets you use the record in "absolute" mode. That is, it's location on the record will correspond to the location on the mp3 track. This wouldn't be possible with a single, endless loop.
    Last edited by sss18734; 03-02-2012 at 07:27 PM.

+1 to what ss438957342589324 said

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    +1 to what ss438957342589324 said
    +ss438957342589324 to what 1 said.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.