mixxx 1.7.0 beta released today, including midi improvements

Default mixxx 1.7.0 beta released today, including midi improvements

hi, was surfing around the mixxx site and saw that they came out with a new release today:
    http://mixxxblog.blogspot.com/2009/0...-released.html

The Mixxx development team is proud to announce the first beta of Mixxx 1.7.0. This latest release is the culmination of six months of work by over a dozen contributors, and contains several exciting new features as well as many bug fixes.

Some of the new changes in Mixxx 1.7.0 Beta1 that we'd like to highlight are:

* Cue points are now saved in the library for each track, with "auto-recall" cue option added to preferences.
    * The default skin is now widescreen, and fits nicely on netbook sized screens.
    * Stereo master VU meter added.
    * MIDI overhaul:
    o MIDI learning wizard
    o MIDI mappings table editor
    o Upgraded, faster mapping system
    * QtScript/JavaScript-based MIDI Scripting Environment - Code up complex behaviour for your MIDI controller without recompiling Mixxx!
    * MIDI output now fully supported on Windows, OS X, and Linux.
    * Added full support for the Stanton SCS.3d on all platforms.
    * Added Mixman DM2 mappings for Linux and OS X.
    * Vinyl Control:
    o Scratching responsiveness improved, with needle-skip prevention option added.
    o Signal quality indicators added to vinyl control preferences.
    * Merged the mixxx and mixxx-data packages for Ubuntu users into a single mixxx package.
    * Fixed about 40 bugs, including:
    o Browse mode no longer disappears in certain situations
    o Skin changing is now much faster
    o Tooltips now work again
    o Fixed rare instabilities caused by certain OGG and MP3 files
    o Minor improvements to the BPM detection
    o Fixed some OpenGL issues
    o Fixed a handful of obscure issues that may have prevented Mixxx from starting up on Windows
    o Play nicer with Ubuntu systems that are running PulseAudio

Aside from these more visible changes, there was significant work done on less visible parts of Mixxx. This includes many improvements to the organization and cleanliness of our source code, as well as a lot of work on features that didn't make it into the final 1.7.0. release. Improving the overall codebase is important for us because it makes it easier for new developers to contribute, and it was these new contributors who helped catalyze the overhaul of our MIDI system.

Back around December, we started toying around with the idea of something we called MIDI scripting. The idea of MIDI scripting is that having a small scripting engine sitting on top of our regular MIDI mappings would allow our users to code complex behaviour for their MIDI controllers using a JavaScript-like language. Soon after this idea hatched, we realized MIDI scripting would make it much easier for us to support new controllers in the future, and this attracted the attention of a handful of our developers.
    probably play around with it after work today.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Mudo

Good news. Soon I will switch to netbook and Linux if the works go in this direction...

Tech Guru

ah .. totally overlooked this .. quite nice .. all opensource too.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

I like the scripting api!

Tech Wizard

Hmmmm. . . I'll give it a shot when I have some spare time. Thnx for posting. (EDIT) Ah crap, just had a deeper look, still no alternative to Traktor for me.
    Last edited by voltcontrol; 06-10-2009 at 08:29 AM.
    BCR2000, Urei 1603 + some stereo guitar effects, 2x Synq XTRM, Thinkpad X60s w Traktor Pro/Ableton, some external HDD's. Raggidy mixers/Lab equipment wanted for hacking purposes

Quote Originally Posted by plusplus View Post
    I like the scripting api!
    +1 NI could learn something from this with Traktor to be perfectly honest

Mixxx has really been sizing up lately, go team open source !

if you take a look on the create digital music blog they have an article with the dascratch and they also talk about the new mixxx.

it's getting closer and closer with each revision, i second the go open source!!!

great open source alternatives of any variety, open office, gimp, mixxx, etc, imo force the pay programs to improve as well, so everyone benifits.

Did anyone have a chance to listen to their keylock algorithm?

tried to connect with xponent, no chances. Bad bpm search

Wow, I am so loving every new release of Mixxx!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --