URGENT mac help needed!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New question, cross posted from the macrumors forum:

I'll try and keep this as brief as possible. (tl;dr version: My library folder is on the wrong drive. How can I move it?)

About 18 months ago I switched the HDD in my mid 2009 MBP for an SSD and replaced the optical drive with a larger HDD for storage, which I then moved my home folder onto (though of course not the library folder).

This weekend the HDD got corrupted and I had to do a full erase/restore through time machine, and until I had reformatted the HDD I could not even log in. Once I had erased it I could log in again, but although the old library folder still exists on the boot SSD, it has replaced the (of course now missing until my TM restore is complete) home folder with a new one on the HDD and set up a new default library folder.

I could copy the old library files into the new folder, but I'd prefer to have the library on the SSD, so what I want to know is how would I get OSX to recognise the old library? Or if I just updated the new one, could I move it?

I know moving the library is a bit of a minefield, so I'm hoping one of you can help!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

anyone know about library moving? sorry to keep bumping guys but I'm desperate and none of the mac forums are as helpful as DJTT!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Tech Guru

if ive read this right, you have all ur important stuff on ur SSD, so why not just do a clean osx intall on the HDD?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Ah so this is what you wanted to ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Problem is since I can't actually log in I can't select specific files, only a full restore.
    You can do a clean install, open time machine's backup from it and select which files you want to restore manually.

Alternatively, you can use the Migration Assistant to just select your user and copy it over.
    Last edited by padi_04; 03-05-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I've sorted the problem (at least I hope so). I was getting confused by the fact that there's a difference between the user library and the system library, so now I've managed to log in by erasing the HDD and restored the home folder, most things seem back to normal. Strangely I had to hold option while booting to manually select the SSD as the boot drive (even though that's the only volume with an OS installed on it), but I've left it shut down all day while I'm at uni and when I get home I'll see if that was a one off.

Panic over, I appreciate your patience!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12