APC40 or MPK25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APC40 or MPK25

Default APC40 or MPK25

...For starting production with most likely Ableton, yet still using Traktor to DJ until it seems I'm fluent eneough with Live (which could be a long time)

The main difference I see is, APC40 has way more buttons and probably better for live, while the MPK25 has a keyboard(!!!) and is much cheaper.

For the sake of Traktor, they probably can both fill the uses I'd want out of them, samples/effects/etc.

As for getting a cheap APC40, the only one on craigslist is unopened for something like 275.

Advice?

i have an apc40 i use for ableton and traktor. its sweet.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

If you're in the US48 Im currently selling my APC40+Audio2DJ for $225
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

^That's very tempting.

And I'm expecting a lot of people telling me how much they love their apc. The one thing though, I hear that production especially early on will be a whole lot more enjoyable if you have a midi keyboard, the mpk has this and the APC40 does not. Is this true? I have a very short budget and need to take time in these decisions. Other alternatives? An aPC40 sounds great, i just want to make sure it's worth not having a keyboard for, especially when I won't be REALLY using live probably for over a year.

Tech Guru

Keyboard is essential to producing but I mean I picked up my 49key M-Audio Keyboard at guitar center used for 40 bucks...so looks for deals like that this way you can get both a keyboard and a APC 40
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=47924

for the picture of it.

but yeah, you can find some awesome deals for used gear at like guitar center.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Second getting an apc in combo with a cheap used keyboard. Its just a good combo for programming your clips, one without the other is kinda neutered...

I had an APC when i started producing and yes, its handy but its not essential, MIDI keyboard is a MUST, ive got a 61 key midi enabled piano and an m-audio oxygen 25 for when im travelling.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

I use and APC40 for Traktor and Ableton. It's really an AMAZING tool for both. For Traktor it's really nice if you understand Traktors midi editing. The midi editor for Traktor can make the APC40 do amazing thing.

For Ableton, the APC40 has a lot of limitations. However, if you get something like Bomes, you can really take things to the next level. Max for Live it nice too, but for strictly mapping controllers, I'd go for Bomes, inspite of the learning curve. Once you start to understand Bomes, it becomes effortless and essential.

I would agree that if production is your thing, finding a MIDI keyboard needs to be on the list. I have tried them all, and I would say the older Novation keyboards (pre-nocturn knobs), are the best. The key response and weight is really nice, and you have a lot of buttons and knobs.

YAWN....these threads are getting old. No disrespect to the OP....how would he have known....

But yeah....we need to add this question or similar to the FAQ, where the answer is:

Think about what you want to do and how you want to do it. Think about what else you want to do with it. Will it still be a worthwhile tool in 2 years. Will it do what i want it to do? What have you got currently. What 'level' are you at? Whats your budget?

All these things play a factor in buying DJ equipment.

But....you gonna buy something and sell it. I bet ya!
    You gonna get it and then after a while think ah shit....its lacking there....or i coulda got that.....seriously....

So be prepared for a round one and a round two.

Beware the GASS. It is not a joke....altho we all joke about it.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast