Hello friends

Thread: Hello friends

Tech Wizard

Default Hello friends

I'm extremely new and very excited / eager to learn how to dj. I'm just lost on where to start!? lol i grabbed a ton of info on traktor pro and also ableton live, and soon to have a mixer whenever i can scrounge up some money. I'm just wondering where you guys would first start off if you could go back to when you first started. I'm a quick learner i just need a bit of a nudge in the right direction. any suggestions would be killer thanks guys. Not sure if the type of music is important to where i should start off but just in case I'm into pretty much anything electro, steve aoki, bloody beetroots, ed banger recs etc

hi and welcome to DJTT
    i think you should buy some music (from beatport etc.) then get a demo of traktor and have a play around with the mouse. there is heaps of tutorials for traktor on youtube and on this site jus have a muck around and see wat comes of it. good luck
    fart.

I'm not going to claim that I know nearly as much as 90% of the folks on here but here is how I've gotten started and I'm still learning tons with each gig.

I started playing music at a bar with my iPOD first. I then upgraded to a laptop and would use WinAmp with the crossfader option enabled. I then noticed certain songs would blend very nicely together (fyi I play spanish rock & pop). After a year of doing that and having people ask me if I would just play music for them elsewhere I decided I needed to get some real DJ equipment and take a crack at mixing. I spent a lot of time with real DJ's and real equipment. I didn't always know what they were doing but it helped. I then bought a little midi mixer that came with Torq. I also bought that DJ i/o audio interface and I was well on my way to getting started. Torq worked out for me because it was simple and basic (the version I got with my mixer is a scaled back version). I wasn't overwhelmed with any of the extra features that I'm learning now with Traktor. I'm in the process of moving over to Traktor and my VCI-100 and taking it to the next level.

My only advice, know your music and don't let anyone sway you in any way about how you mix/spin/dj...etc. There are many critics but also many who are out to help. You're off to a good start by being on this forum.

ErikC

Tech Wizard

thanks alot guys <3

Tech Guru

1)aquire a collection of music
    2)aquire then learn your DJing software, I recommend Traktor3
    3)aquire necessary hardware. (midi controllers, audio interface etc.)
    4)Listen to other DJs. Go to parties and/or listen to DJ mixes, make note of what works and what doesn't. What excites the dance floor, what excites you?
    6) record your mixes. listen to them. make note of what works and what doesn't 7) practice. practice. practice.
    8) when your confident enough in your skills record a tight demo and start sharing with promoters to land yourself gigs.

good luck!

Practise practise practise...then practise while drunk
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "