How to start promoting myself?

Default How to start promoting myself?

So, being a college student in Long Island, I've just started picking up enough where I think it's time to start getting my name out there in order to book some gigs at local clubs and stuff.

Now, how should I go about this? Would making a mix and sending it to a club promoter or manager be the way to go?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJSplinter View Post
    So, being a college student in Long Island, I've just started picking up enough where I think it's time to start getting my name out there in order to book some gigs at local clubs and stuff.

Now, how should I go about this? Would making a mix and sending it to a club promoter or manager be the way to go?
    Make a mix, EPK, and a logo. Start promoting yourself on facebook. Hit up different house parties that you kno are goin down in the college, and they will most likely put you on cuz they need people too play music.
    15 inch macbook pro - Traktor Kontrol S2 - Stanton T-60's - Traktor Audio 10
    I'm Dj Kave Check me out : )
    Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/djkave
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/djkavex Fan Page : )

Tech Mentor

College is a great place to start DJ'ing. Start doing the fraternity/sorority parties. They are low pressure and will give you great experience DJ'ing for a live crowd. Since you go to their college, getting to know the social chairs should be easy. And they pay way better than the bars/clubs do

Downside is you will need PA and lighting. But that can be rented if necessary.

Search the blog. Think tere has been a fair few posts about this.
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

I'm 18 and have only had 1 gig before, but tomorrow night i'm running my first ever night with an expected sell out, and 2 other medium profile DJ's playing the first two sets. look into where does free room hire, and set about making a business plan dude!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWoods View Post
    I'm 18 and have only had 1 gig before, but tomorrow night i'm running my first ever night with an expected sell out, and 2 other medium profile DJ's playing the first two sets. look into where does free room hire, and set about making a business plan dude!
    Any ideas for starting a business plan?

I've got a gig at the end of march ran by a sorority where all other greek organizations will be. Hopefully the exposure from that could possibly open up some doors.