TT case problem

Thread: TT case problem

Tech Mentor

Default TT case problem

I wanna make case for Technics 1210 MK2 turntable. I have major dimensions (453W x 360D x 162H mm), but I need inside dimensions, especially for the sponge that will press against platter and keep tt immobilized so it doesn't move inside case and that tonearm don't touch the cover of the case.

I tried to find dimensions online unsuccessfully. Anyone have any blueprints of TT cases or knows how I could measure all of that with least possible mistakes?

Thanks in advance.

The sponge is the easy bit. As long as you are over rather than under, it will just compress. Worst case, you cut it back a fraction. I can measure my sponge for you (so to speak).
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    The sponge is the easy bit. As long as you are over rather than under, it will just compress. Worst case, you cut it back a fraction. I can measure my sponge for you (so to speak).
    I would appreciate that. Thanks!

Tech Guru

8 1/2 " circle x 2 3/4" tall.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    8 1/2 " circle x 2 3/4" tall.
    Thanks

Tech Guru

NO worries. Just make sure it is a pretty firm foam you use.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Wizard

The depth of your foam, will depend on how deep the lid of the turntable case is.
    Build your case, according to the measurements you have for your turntable.
    Make the base of your case the height of the tt (not including the platter and tone arm). You want to make it an inch (25mm) larger all the way round.
    So if your turntable is 453W x 360D x 162H mm, make it 505 x 412 x 215. Add a couple of mm for luck.
    Foam round the edges, I would suggest foaming all along the front, 150mm down the sides in the front and back corners. (Leave a gap in the middle so you can lift it out) and along the back missing the lid hinges. 25mm underneath the feet. No need to foam the whole base, just strips, left to right under the feet. Put your turntable in. Measure between the platter and the height of the lid. That will give you the height your lid foam needs to be. See photo.

tt case.jpg

Hope that helps.