I need a new set up and dont know what to get!!!
    Tech Convert

Default I need a new set up and dont know what to get!!!

Hi guys im wanting a new set up and have no idea what to do or what to get. i will be upgrading from the mixtrack pro and i think it is virtual dj 7 " i think". and this is my first few months dee jaying so bare that in mind and no im not looking to be some bad ass dj but i would like to have something that mixes very well, and be able to pull off some stuff like flux or skrillex. so please help me and thank you.

Tech Convert

and i would like to use some bad ass effects!

Tech Mentor

I'd say continue with your mixtrack pro.

Maybe get a midifighter to go along with it for some extra buttons.

If you are still that new, I doubt you have pushed things as far as your can...

Don't touch another controller until you know exactly what you're doing with what you have. Push every button, turn every knob until you know exactly what they do and when to use them. Also, not knowing your software isn't a good sign.

Also, keep in mind a controller only gives orders to your software. Wheter you got a S2, S4, Mixtrack, VCI-100 ... if you're running Traktor, you will be able to do what Traktor is capable off. Nothing more, nothing less.

It all comes down to mapping (affecting one or several actions to a button or a knob).
    Basic example. If you map multiple effects parameters to one controller, you can end up with a nice result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VJm0mi7aUc

This is Traktor + a mapping. It has nothing to do with the controller.

When you will be really experienced, if you want to go mental with some "badass" stuff, you should try to DJ with a software that supports VST (like Virtual DJ, Ableton Live etc. (i don't know about Serato)). When after a bit of time you feel limited by Traktor (I doubt that given the fact the software will evolve and hopefully will have super nice features in the near future) then consider another software OR even use hardware (FX pedals and stuff).

Just stick with your controller, learn Traktor in depth and come back later if you really feel limited by your gear.

PS : nevermind, just saw you were on Virtual DJ. But it's the same thing, your software is doing all the work, the device you use is just a way to give it orders. Then learn your software in depth, get comfortable with it.

If you try to burn the steps you will
    A) Give up
    B) Become a "shitty" DJ, meaning fader slam with airhorn x3 and flanger-fest all over the mix.

PS 2 : I gave a 2nd read to your post, and you want to sound "like flux or skrillex". Dude. I don't know about Flux Pavillon but I assure you Skrillex isn't doing loads of things live. Even if he improved a lot since he first started to play gigs, it's more or less A+B simple mixing with beat repeat effect.

It sounds you want to surf on the dubstep fashion. If you REALLY love music and if you are willing to spend YEARS working and learning before releasing something decent, I suggest you have a look at production work. That's the best way to express yourself, but it's really technical and way harder to learn than DJing.

As I said, don't try to burn the steps.
    Last edited by dope; 03-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.