2 Channel Mixer breakdown - NEED YOUR OPINIONS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2 Channel Mixer breakdown - NEED YOUR OPINIONS

So, I've made a couple posts like this before but still haven't found quite what I'm looking for. Before you ask, I have read the DJTT blog post on 2 channel mixers but it's a bit out of date and some new ones have come out since. I'm selling my current controller (MC6000) and getting a 2 channel mixer + audio 4 + X1 to use with my already purchased midi fighter. I believe that will be plenty of control, and I'll finally have the EQ quality of an external setup!

This is what I'm -looking for- in a mixer:

-High Quality EQ sound quality (3 band)
    -High quality feeling pots/faders (crossfader doesn't mean anything to me..not a scratch DJ)
    -Good LED feedback on the levels so I can get better at manually adjusting gains
    -Isolator EQ (full EQ kills on all levels)
    -If possible, I'd like filters but it's not necessary

So far, I've narrowed down my search to the following candidates, for which I'll list my pros + cons for each

Xone 22

Pros:
    -Has a filter, amazing pot/fader quality, nice EQ curve, and good LED feedback
    -price of $270

Cons:
    -The dreaded filter pop/static when activating it
    -Loud hiss noise coming from left channel on headphone output

DJM 250

Pros:
    -dual filter
    -isolator EQ

Cons:
    -Slightly higher price of $350
    -Some people say that pioneer EQ/sound quality isn't that good...thoughts?
    -Haven't found any reviews on it, as it's brand new.

Ecler Nuo 2 or 3

Pros:
    -Found a used nuo 3 for $250
    -high quality sound/pots/faders
    -lots of ins and outs
    -Compact

Cons:
    -I'm told the mid-range EQ is really wide, making the high and low EQ less important...thoughts?
    -no filters

Rane TTM56

Pros:
    -Rane is known for immensely high quality, even if bought 2nd hand
    -I've heard the EQ curve is -really- nice on these...opinions?

Cons:
    -High Price...I've found a couple used for below 500 but it's more than I was looking to spend
    -no balanced XLR out

So that's all I've got to say about those mixers, and my current needs. I'm looking for some feedback guys! Whether it's an opinion on one of the units I just mentioned, or a suggestion on a -different- mixer (keep it to 2 or 3 channels please!) I wanna know what you think! Thanks!

Tech Guru

I just upgraded to a Rane 56. I love it! The EQ is great. I love having the ability to turn off the EQ with the flick of a switch. Curve on the level faders as well as the stock cross fader is crisp. There is about a 2mm dead space on the crossfader when turning the contour all the way up for scratching. I plan on installing an innofader pro, so that won't be an issue for long. The missing XLRs are the only con to this mixer, but 1/4" suits me just fine as I run from my Rane to my DJM500, then XLR to monitors.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

And how is the EQ curve and the LED feedback? The 1/4 are balanced aren't they?

Tech Guru

EQ curve is good. I would like to have more than off to +6 when just mixing, but that is splitting hairs as far as I am concerned. I mix mainly with the mids, and finally don't have to worry about dropping the mids and losing my high hats. Very responsive and well tuned EQ.

Yes the 1/4" master outs are balanced.

LED feed back is as good or better than any mixer I have owned previously as far as line level accuracy. When it comes to using the LEDs in PGM mode, obviously you only want to use them to judge your levels, and not the accuracy of the beats.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

What about a used djm 707... I've given that advise several times but I think its a great value for a 2 channel mixer.

I still think the Numark X5 is a good choice too

The thing is, the numark X5 is the same price as a DJM 250 and has a much lower feature set along with the fact that Numark doesn't have the best track record for quality.

Tech Mentor

The features you are looking for in that list are pretty much covered by the Xone 22.

For $270 it is the best value out of your choices as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    The features you are looking for in that list are pretty much covered by the Xone 22.

For $270 it is the best value out of your choices as well.
    Yeah, but I'm just trying to get some feedback on the cons I've listed about that mixer. The filter pop and the headphone hiss kinda kill it for me (if they're as bad as some people say)

Tech Mentor

I have a Xone 22, I have enjoyed playing on it. I cannot hear the hiss unless it is silent. It makes no difference for me when I have a tune going.

The Xones have a very loud headphone output. I don't even have to have it past 1/4 of the way before I can tell that it is not good for my ears. I have TMA-1 headphones.

The filterpop sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't, I can't tell when it is going to happen. It is easy to push the button during a busy segment of the tune and you can't even tell that it has popped.

I would go for the 56S, purely because it WILL last you forever if you want it to,
    Im currently after a rane 57 or 61, undecided if the extra £300 is worth a usb2.0 soundcard and filters
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast