New Soundcloud Copyright Law - Bye Bye DJs?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default New Soundcloud Copyright Law - Bye Bye DJs?

So I just made a mix today, all excited to upload it to soundcloud. I get it done, in the process of uploading it, and as soon as the transcoding was complete, I get redirected to a different page than usual.

It's a page that informs me that one of my tracks (the 1st track, Icarus by Madeon), is owned by a record label and my upload has been cancelled due to copyright laws. Really, you can say that about every single tune in all of my mixes.In other words, I can't upload any sets to soundcloud anymore, and this obviously applies to others as well.

Opinions on these new laws?

For me this is brutal, as my entire fanbase and listeners come from soundcloud. I've built basically everything upon soundcloud and now I cannot upload any more mixes. I understand where they are coming from for the producers' side of things, but as a DJ we are all pretty well fucked when it comes to using soundcloud...which blows big time.

did it to me once
    havent had it happen again since.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Mentor

Hmm well this is the first time it's happened for me. It's weird though how only certain tracks are blocked. I think it's a little unorganized on their part, theoretically ALL dj mixes are copyrighted unless you are putting on your own music in there. I am not going to re-do my mix to get rid of one song just for soundcloud...looks like mixcloud it is for me then. Not to mention mixcloud is free while soundcloud charges a LOT of money if you plan on uploading over 12 hours of mixes...

Most likely that record label or artist complained to Soundcloud and thats why they can't allow it. I heard of people putting dead air in front of the song or white noise to get around it. Honestly, I'd just go to mixcloud...I like the fact that its free over the absurd prices soundcloud charges.
    nope.

This has happened to me once. Mix was up over 6 months and got taken down because i used the vangelis blade runner theme at the start. i solved this by fading in the start and re-uploading and all was good.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Some peeps use this... It looks interesting. Has a dl link too

http://www.mixcrate.com/
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

So it sounds like this doesn't happen too often and only occurs with certain tracks.

Part of me wants to still stick with soundcloud and work around this (i.e. remaking sets to suit soundcloud), but another part of me doesn't. The way I see it:

Soundcloud Benefits:
    - sleek interface, easy for people to listen to your stuff
    - way more views, most well known audio sharing resource (basically the youtube of music)
    - already have my fanbase there (almost 80k total plays)
    - downloadable audio files

Soundcloud Downsides:
    - costs a LOT of money if you want to post more than 12 hours of music
    - alternatives are less well known, generally worse interfaces
    - can make you re-do sets over and over again for copyright reasons

Conclusion:

Soundcloud - more work, more money, more frustration, for more views
    Mixcloud - less work, free, but less views

Jeez....that's quite tricky to be honest. As much as I don't want to admit it's all about the views, they really do make a big difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    This has happened to me once. Mix was up over 6 months and got taken down because i used the vangelis blade runner theme at the start. i solved this by fading in the start and re-uploading and all was good.
    How much fading did you do exactly? Like 5 minutes of fading or was like 5 seconds enough? Hoping for the latter haha....

just a stardard fade-in. from memory i put a little delay on it also.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    just a stardard fade-in. from memory i put a little delay on it also.
    I'm going to try that..

Weird why the fade-in worked though. I didn't include all of the track that was copyrighted...fade-in shouldn't really do much..

Still will try it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast