Pioneers monopoly on the club DJ market
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pioneers monopoly on the club DJ market

Tech Mentor

If you don't want to pay the $ then don't buy the product. Plenty of other choices out there... If you want it that much then pay? Simple price theory yeah?

Pio gear isn't mandatory.

I guess the point that I forgot to make is that I think all their gear below the 900s/2000s isn't very good. Its either obsolete technology wise (Who still listens to CDs as a medium? So why should we, as DJs, use them when DJing should be ahead of the general consumer market) or shitty to play on (CDJ-350? come on).

I feel that DJ's choose to use the CDJs because most big performers use it.

The only real reason big performers use it in my opinion is because they do not have to carry a bunch of shit everywhere. They only need a USB drive with their tracks, and their cans. Almost every club, if not every big club already has CDJs. If you have a medium that almost all big DJs like to use (at least EDM wise) such as the CDJs they'll prosper for a long long time.

Tech Mentor

I don't understand why it matters than the gear below the 900's are not very good? Cause that ain't the gear thats "industry standard"

Its gear that is stripped of features and made with poorer quality to target a lower price bracket.

If it was really good then all it would do is cannabilise 900 sales which would erode their profit margin.

I learnt to mix on CDJ 1000mk3's but I would never personally want to own them. I got better things to buy with my money and I am more than happy rocking DVS on 1210's.

Plenty of excellent big name DJ's will bring their own laptop + soundcard to play DVS.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    I guess the point that I forgot to make is that I think all their gear below the 900s/2000s isn't very good. Its either obsolete technology wise (Who still listens to CDs as a medium? So why should we, as DJs, use them when DJing should be ahead of the general consumer market) or shitty to play on (CDJ-350? come on).
    Listening to a CD is pretty boring, they generally just sit there being a piece of plastic.

I still listen to music that has been licensed to me via CD. I know many other people that should. The medium of delivery isn't important.

I suspect you think my 1200's are obsolete, too? Perhaps I should throw all my vinyl away ...
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    I feel that DJ's choose to use the CDJs because most big performers use it.

The only real reason big performers use it in my opinion is because they do not have to carry a bunch of shit everywhere. They only need a USB drive with their tracks, and their cans. Almost every club, if not every big club already has CDJs. If you have a medium that almost all big DJs like to use (at least EDM wise) such as the CDJs they'll prosper for a long long time.
    Not just that, but the big shots in the industry dont even carry their equipment and also use them because thats what they have been on for a long time and thats where they're comfy at.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Mentor

A monoply means that a company makes the consumer only use their product and there are no other choices. There are plenty of choices. If you think something is superior and everything else is inferior and not worth it, thats your opinion, it doesn't make the company have a monopoly on the market. Ita like saying Sony makes the best TVs and all the other TVs suck so Sony has a monopoly on TVs.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    A monoply means that a company makes the consumer only use their product and there are no other choices. There are plenty of choices. If you think something is superior and everything else is inferior and not worth it, thats your opinion, it doesn't make the company have a monopoly on the market. Ita like saying Sony makes the best TVs and all the other TVs suck so Sony has a monopoly on TVs.
    No a monopoly does not mean that. Microsoft was declared a monopoly in the legal sense. However Apple where selling more expensive products that included there OS. Its a difficult case as apple don't sell there OS in the same way microsoft do. Lets not get into that.

However the claim was that people had to buy there software and systems to be able to operate in business. At the time Apple sucked at networking and in my opinion still do. BTW I am writing this from a macbook pro! However Microsofts market share was over 90% I think it is still around that figure. Even though there are free alternatives people still feel asif they need windows and so do manufactures.

So from this do Pioneer have a monopoly in clubs?

Do they have over 90% market share?

Do clubs buy pioneer because they feel
    they have no choice?

From this I would say yes they do have a monopoly. Like microsoft I feel that strong hold is loosing its grip tho. Hip Hop djs are going back to vinyl with timecode and there are loads of edm guys coming though on midi controllers. Pioneer have in no way innovated with there midi controller offerings.

I can't see any1 getting a monopoly with midi controllers I can see NI having a very significant share of the market tho

I have made the prediction many times that the 1200 will outlive the cdj! and I stand by that

One place pioneer are still doing well on is there mixers even if cdjs go away in the next 15 years mixers will stay as vinyl is still the only way to go for scratch djs. The nexus 900 is an excellent platform for dvs. I think pioneer will dominate the mixers market for a long tie to come

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    I suspect you think my 1200's are obsolete, too? Perhaps I should throw all my vinyl away ...
    Not at all, turntables allow us to interact with music in a unique way. (I guess you could argue the same for CDs as you have to insert a CD instead of selecting a track from a digital storage device but once playing, it is the same).

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    I have made the prediction many times that the 1200 will outlive the cdj! and I stand by that
    Much agreed. CDs do not offer anything unique except a hassle and IMO less reliability than a USB drive. 1200s (or any TTs), using vinyl or DVS, are (arguably) necessary for a part of DJing that isn't going anywhere (turntablism).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast