Volume levels in a mix
    Tech Wizard

Default Volume levels in a mix

I just recorded a mix (my 3rd one in about 1 year I've been DJing) and it sounds softer than the first 2. I use Traktor Pro S4 and I had auto-gain on. I couldn't remember if I used AG on my other 2 mixes .

My question: If I am trying to increase the volume of the final mp3 file, does it make a difference if I... 1) re-record it with auto-gain off and put the individual gains at 0 or something or default vs 2) importing the mp3 I have now into say Audacity and just jack the gain on each channel in there to like +6ish or some value? Will there be any difference in sound quality or effectiveness by doing one vs the other?

I hope you guys can help!

Tech Wizard

Anyone? I wanna make my mix louder for people to listen to, but if I can avoid re-recording it with different gains, I would obviously prefer that.

you can try audacity. Just watch the levels in audacity cause you may get clipping.

The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

boosting the final volume level does not destroy the quality, as long as you dont clip it. try to aim for around -6 db, that gives you plenty of headroom for hard limiting and boosting up to the final level. obviously when you are recording you want the levels to be as close as possible.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

You could just master it through things like T-racks, which is full custom to what you want - either bit-crushingly monster loud or just a slight bump up - it's also E.Q rich so you can add a little more bottom end/mid - whatever you need.

There are millions of decent mastering programs out there - just about finding what suits your style best.