ALternative to KRK's

Default ALternative to KRK's

Im just about to order myself some KRK 5's for my home away from home. I already have a set at of krk 6G2's and oddly enough one KRK 5.... so I know what Im getting. I just feel that the krk 5's might be an overkill for the application as im working in a small space where I cant really pump it. Id rather by a smaller set of monitors with similar if not better sound, im willing to spend up to say $400. Has anyone got any ideas
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

There are different sounds, but I haven't heard anything that I'd call better.

Are these going to be the only monitors in that space? And is it for DJing or production?

Tech Wizard

This thread might be helpful from Gearslutz.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...-monitors.html

a buddy of mines keeps telling me to get a pair of the behringer truth monitors with the ribbon drivers over the rokit 6's... gotta check the behringers out sometime.

[i can see the replies:

OMG! DONT GET BEHRINGER, because they make cheap stuff, or because its not the industry standard... Bla bla bla"]

like i said, i'll compare em side by side and come back with my findings, if you have personally listened to them, then some feedback would be nice, otherwise...

I've listened to Truth and KRK monitors side-by-side, but it was in Guitar Center's showroom……about the worst place ever to try out speakers…they probably weren't staged correctly…and they might have been broken. So, I won't tell you how bad I thought they were there.

Tech Convert

I really like my Mackies. The older ones tended to hype the bass, but the newer ones seem more neutral. Better sounding mids/highs than the KRKs IMHO. I so think the KRK v8's sounded good for heavy rock style stuff tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I've listened to Truth and KRK monitors side-by-side, but it was in Guitar Center's showroom……about the worst place ever to try out speakers…they probably weren't staged correctly…and they might have been broken. So, I won't tell you how bad I thought they were there.
    No offense, but i would never take someone's opinion if their tests were done at a guitar center. They dont seem to take care of any of their gear. When ever i go to one i make it a point to test the CDJ's jog wheels and no matter which one i go to the bearings on ALL the display CDJs always seem to have messed up bearings. They really need to take better care of their stuff.

Tech Convert

Agreed. Usually GC has a policy where you can bring stuff back so you can listen at home and decide. Also you can usually find a pro audio dealer in the area that has the same speakers. Might be quieter :^)

It's because they don't pay the employees enough to care.

(I know. I used to work there.)

Very true! i applied there and they made me a decent offer, the sad part is i would of been one of the highest paid (non management) sales peeps working for them in the district and i would be making less then what i make now.