Keeping a day job and weekday residencies/gigs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I usually don't go out during the week, or if I do I'm home by 1 so I can get some sleep before work. Fridays and Saturdays, well, last week I got home at 7AM on Sunday. Screwed me up the whole week.

As far as the pay discussion, if you're filling out the place and it's cause of you, ask for a cut of the bar (like 10%) to augment your pay. Or a larger percent of the door (40%) if there is a door charge. I mean, if it's moving 80 people then the bar is probably making over $1000. So it could be a good little extra money.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Damien1138 View Post
    How do you juggle a 40hr/wk job and play out during the week? I usually don't get home from gigs until 2 or 3 in the morning and usually have to be up by 6 or 7 to get to work on time. I know alot of you out there have done this or are currently doing this, so i'm wondering what people do to keep themselves sane
    I actually have the luxus to work from monday to friday and I usally play twice a month either on friday night or on saturday night... so no problem for the "sleeping thing"... what is consuming my time a lot is searching for new tracks and records... this means that when I finish my "normal" job I go home in front of my laptop or to shops instead of taking care of my girlfriend... which is, you know, the real problem

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Hey Wil, I had to shift my work schedule to survive. I work from 11:30 to 8pm M-F and I usually go out or dj Tues/Thrus/Fri/Sat/Sun. I usually dont get home until 3 sometimes 4 am and dont goto bed until 5 am.

TBH is a bitch to dj & work full time. Just to give you an example of this crazy week for me...BTW my week starts on sun.

Sun: DJ @ Little Cave
    Mon: Work/Rest
    Tues: DJ @ House Of Blues (Sunset)
    Wed: Work/Made mixed cd
    Thr: Work & saw Depeche Mode in Hollywood, then went out for drinks
    Fri: Work & DJ non stop from 9:30 to 2am
    Sat: Rest & Dj from 10 to 2am (bad ass bar fight broke out with sh!t flying everywhere)
    Sun: Church (dont ask)/Bowling w/Work & Resting as i type and getting ready Djing again tonight!

Its hard to do both, be we do it for the love of music!
    f*ck, I wish I had these problems ... seeing Depeche Mode, playing 4/5 gigs a week... let me guess: either you do not have a girlfriend or you hide the kitchen knives very well...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djerikc View Post
    I have a 9-5 and occasionally travel for work but DJ'ing on the side has become pretty lucrative. I started doing it only on Saturday's but I've been getting asked to play at more and more spots. I've given into working Friday nights now so it's work 6 days out of the week for me. It's cool cause I used to go out Friday and Saturday and now my girl comes out and we both drink free and still walk out with some cash at the end of the night. It's like I get paid to party! I rest on Sundays!

I'm only worried I don't charge enough cause I do this more as a hobby. At least that's what I say. I have a pretty good job M-F so I don't need the money.

What would you expect a bar to pay if you filled their joint up. I would say the 2 spot I play for have a max. occ. of 80 people and people line up to get inside. Any guidelines? I do my own flyers and promotions.

Holla!

ErikC
    I frakkin' (BG anyone?) love this discussion!!!!

So say we all
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by luca78nero View Post
    I frakkin' (BG anyone?) love this discussion!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    So say we all
    Oh man. U just geeked all over this thread. Going off topic... that Caprica movie sucked. Tried to watch it last night and wanted to send myself out an airlock.
    Last edited by B33SON; 04-27-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

I am kind of refusing to watch it. My girlfriend might watch it cause she's crazy like that, but I am actually debating on not buying the 4th season on DVD and just assuming it ends at the end of the third season
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Sunday: Day of 'rest'/DJ Night from 9-2am
    Monday: Work from 10am-7pm / music work @ home
    Tuesday: Work from 10am-7pm / music work @ home
    Wed: Work from 10am-7pm / DJ Night from 9-2am
    Thursday: Work from 10am-7pm / DJ Night from 9-2am
    Friday: Work from 10am-7pm / DJ Night from 9-2am
    Saturday: Sleep in till noon-ish. work on music until... / DJ Night from 9am-2am.

I honestly don't know how I continue to juggle the two. I am a little insane most of the time. Bento can vouch for that. hahah
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I am kind of refusing to watch it. My girlfriend might watch it cause she's crazy like that, but I am actually debating on not buying the 4th season on DVD and just assuming it ends at the end of the third season
    just saw the end of fourth season yesterday. Definitely worth...but don't wanna go off topic...

Tech Mentor

B33s0n Is Teh K!llz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast