Keeping a day job and weekday residencies/gigs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Keeping a day job and weekday residencies/gigs

How do you juggle a 40hr/wk job and play out during the week? I usually don't get home from gigs until 2 or 3 in the morning and usually have to be up by 6 or 7 to get to work on time. I know alot of you out there have done this or are currently doing this, so i'm wondering what people do to keep themselves sane

Hey Wil, I had to shift my work schedule to survive. I work from 11:30 to 8pm M-F and I usually go out or dj Tues/Thrus/Fri/Sat/Sun. I usually dont get home until 3 sometimes 4 am and dont goto bed until 5 am.

TBH is a bitch to dj & work full time. Just to give you an example of this crazy week for me...BTW my week starts on sun.

Sun: DJ @ Little Cave
    Mon: Work/Rest
    Tues: DJ @ House Of Blues (Sunset)
    Wed: Work/Made mixed cd
    Thr: Work & saw Depeche Mode in Hollywood, then went out for drinks
    Fri: Work & DJ non stop from 9:30 to 2am
    Sat: Rest & Dj from 10 to 2am (bad ass bar fight broke out with sh!t flying everywhere)
    Sun: Church (dont ask)/Bowling w/Work & Resting as i type and getting ready Djing again tonight!

Its hard to do both, be we do it for the love of music!
    Last edited by JesC; 04-26-2009 at 09:21 PM.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

5 nights a week is pretty slick. I maybe going back to the day job for a little bit but my biggest deterrent is the mandatory OT where i would pull in 60-75 hr weeks. TBH, i'd rather be broke and DJing/Producing for a living than go back to having absolutely no life. We'll see how it all pans out after the tour.

I have a 9-5 and occasionally travel for work but DJ'ing on the side has become pretty lucrative. I started doing it only on Saturday's but I've been getting asked to play at more and more spots. I've given into working Friday nights now so it's work 6 days out of the week for me. It's cool cause I used to go out Friday and Saturday and now my girl comes out and we both drink free and still walk out with some cash at the end of the night. It's like I get paid to party! I rest on Sundays!

I'm only worried I don't charge enough cause I do this more as a hobby. At least that's what I say. I have a pretty good job M-F so I don't need the money.

What would you expect a bar to pay if you filled their joint up. I would say the 2 spot I play for have a max. occ. of 80 people and people line up to get inside. Any guidelines? I do my own flyers and promotions.

Holla!

ErikC

Banned

Well if there's a line outside you're roving your value. Depending on on long you've been playing I might even ask for a raise by now seeing how you put a lot of effort into it outside of DJing.

And don't be afraid to ask for more every 6 months or so if things are only getting better, work it into you're contract as a clause like a bi-yearly evaluation and new negotiation.

Cheers mate and keep on working it!

What an awesome thread. I love this place. I've often wondered about this myself. Its interesting to read through the replies.

I have nothing to contribute...just a schmuck peeking in from the side lines
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Tech Guru

I DJ Fridays & Saturdays mostly so its all G mostly.

My Tuesday night residency (yes tuesday night...) starts earlier and finishes around 2 mostly so its ok, my boss is cool with it so doesnt mind me coming in a bit late sometimes.

If you plan to keep the dayjob dont resort to drugs to keep you awake

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    If you plan to keep the dayjob dont resort to drugs to keep you awake
    fo'sure!

I do this very rarely. My city sucks for weekday parties. But none the less. Coffee, it is my friend. Also, cat naps.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast