Question Regarding Connecting Turntables to Computer

Default Question Regarding Connecting Turntables to Computer

Hi All,

So i've just picked myself up a set of turntables and a load of vinyl records. I'm having great fun mixing them together, but i wondered if there was any way to run them into my computer and through traktor so i can use the effects in traktor? I know traktor has live inputs, but I only have either a Denon MC-6000 (Which i dont think has any inputs that i can route through to my computer) or the mic input on my laptop and a creative mp3+ soundcard with line inputs.

I know that connecting the turntables via either line in or mic means that the volume is going to be too low, does traktor have a built in riaa amp for this use?? Or is there anyway i can use my MC6000 to accomplish this??

To add, i would be using the MC6000 as the mixer and soundcard, so if i use anything else to input the sound i know i would have to install ASIO4all to get the outs to work.

Thanks in advance!!

Rob.

Tech Mentor

I would of thought that you could use the MC6000's inputs to route through to traktor. You would need it in internal mixing mode.

HI Kaek,

Unfortunately this does not really work. I've just had chance to actually test it. The MC6000 thersted the mic input, but the first input passess through all audio connected to the phono/line inputs on the back, and the 2nd does nothing, so im just presuming that its a mic input). So this is not possible using the denon hardware.

Furthermore to this, this input does get passed through to traktor, and then i can play it back out again through the denon using its soundcard, but the sound is doubled up, so im hearing both the output from traktor and the output of the mixer, which is quite bizzare!

I have got this working using my internal soundcard and the external soundcard i mentioned before, and the sound is routed out through the denon, so my problem is solved. Just wish the Denon inputs worked, as i now have a huge mass of cables instead!!!!

Although i have now discovered that the latency is way too much to make it feasible. Just not possible to cue and play the records in time with that much latency!!!!

What i really need is an audio 4!!!

Tech Mentor

I would go onto the demon dj forums and ask for help with this. I am pretty sure that the mc 6000 has the right inputs. I think you just need to change it from external mixing mode to midi internal mixing mode.

Ok, i've (half) solved the problem.

The MC6000 can route 2 audio sources through to the computer. Theres a switch on the black labelled USB output (bit confusing really as that makes it sound like thats what the computer is outputting to the MC6000) that can be set to either rec/mic or channel 1+4.

So i can connect my 2 turntables to channels 1 and 4, and then route that through to traktor. The only problem now is that if you then output this audio from traktor back to the MC6000, you get a duplicate of the sound, because it also routes the sound directly from the turntables to the master out. The only way i've found around this is to use internal mixing in traktor, and output this sound via a separate soundcard using ASIO4all. This seems to work quite well, with minimal lag (Ive set the latency to 128). You can still set the cue output to channels 3 and 4 on the MC6000, so you can use the normal headphone output on the MC6000 for the cue. I then just route the main audio out of the built in soundcard on my laptop.

If you set the turntables to inputs 3 and 4 in traktor, you can still control decks 1 and 2 with the MC6000 and mix in tracks from the computer and/or samples (including sampling the turntables). You then use the controls on the mixer for channels 1 and 4 to control the volume and EQ's of the turntables!