This is what I call a Hip Hop Mix!
    Tech Convert

Default This is what I call a Hip Hop Mix!

Whats up fellow djs! if you guys got some spare time to kill and want to listen to some fresh hip hop, check out this video! Thanks in advance!

You can download it for free on my facebook bandpage!

http://listn.to/rayswift707

Your scratching is good - nice n' tight. But your mixing definitely needs work - especially during transitions/blends. When you speed up a record, you really jab at the vinyl with your hand. Be a little more gentle - and you'll avoid the (obvious sounding) rise in pitch when you're bringing the tracks back into sync.

Instead of "pushing" the record, try twisting the spindle between you thumb and finger to speed up the record. Riding the pitch is probably not a great idea because your transitions are so short.

A pretty nice mix overall - how long have you been doing it?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

scratching new song on every song is over kill. trying coming up with some creativity in transitions. also look into harmonic mixing.

Tech Convert

Thanks Patch! I agree with the transitions but the reason for that is, it's hard to get my loops precise. What I mean by that is when it loops back to the beginning, it tends to get off beat while im transitioning with a track with a 8 bar intro with no loops. Also, Im having a problem with that turntable. I think my RCAs are fucked because everytime I touch the dots on the platter, the tracking bar doesn't fully go all the way. Sometimes it will stay at 95% with 5% staying red for a couple of seconds, giving it some latency problems. I calibrate and clean my needles all the time.

If im mixing with straight vinyl i never have that problem and all my transitions are smooth. You can check out my other videos on youtube using only vinyl.

I've only been using Serato for about 3 months and I started DJing in 1998 - 2003. Took a break for and started DJing again 3 months ago when I got Serato. haha

Tech Wizard

I'm new at digital djing myself. only dj in the 90's than quit only got back in ( part time / hobby ) few years ago. i have my own radio dance show 88.7 wyca.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by smiley4822 View Post
    scratching new song on every song is over kill. trying coming up with some creativity in transitions. also look into harmonic mixing.
    Kinda hard to get creative when I only got 1 turntable. If I my other one didnt fuck I can beat juggle.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by smiley4822 View Post
    Just to build off this suggestion, the delay effect every transition can be overkill too. I mean, I love delay and I find myself using it all the time too when I'm spinning hip hop, but there are other effects out there. Nice mix, though. Loved all the tracks. That's a dope spot that allowed you to spin just hip hop. It looked like a storefront, where was it?

Tech Convert

1/0 I know there are other effect out there but for hip hop, transitioning out with a phazer, flanger etc would sound dumb. Plus, you need to understand that I only have 1 turntable im workin with. If I had my other one, I can beat juggle, transition out with a backspin, stop the turntable and let it roll slowly etc etc.

Dont get me wrong. I appreciate constructive criticism. I actually hope for that so I can learn and become better.

@ 1/0 its a bar/karaoke bar/lounge in the Quezon City Philippines called Studio Five KTV. The owners actually want American Hip Hop because the only stuff they get is Top 40 tracks. Filipinos here love something different. Its a store front overlooking a terrace with tables and chairs outside where people drink, eat, dance etc.