real use of samples
    Tech Wizard

Default real use of samples

soooo i think i may have the wrong idea of samples you get from beatport and such. can you use them to make your own song or what?

Yup. Whether you can call that a "remix" is a matter of copyright I think... Just go with Bootleg at first to avoid any problem.
    Anyone correct me if I'm wrong :/
    Traktor Pro 2 | Macbook Pro 15" i7 | Kontrol S4 | MidiFighter Classic | Perseverance

Coming up soon: brand new Soundcloud and Mixcloud.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You can do whatever you want with them, make songs use them in a mix or whatever. And as far as bootleg or remix goes it doesn't really matter what yo call it. If there's copyright issues they don't magically go away because you call it a bootleg.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

My bad then; could you explain the exact difference between the two then? I thought the term bootleg was basically coming up when you use an artist song without his authorization, although that doesn't necessary mean you're in trouble .
    But please enlighten me! This is probably something I should know about
    Traktor Pro 2 | Macbook Pro 15" i7 | Kontrol S4 | MidiFighter Classic | Perseverance

Coming up soon: brand new Soundcloud and Mixcloud.

bootleg just means it's not legal. You could still fall into some legal issues, though I think that really depends on what you do with the song, is extremely dependent on if you give it away for free or not, and what type of credit you give to the original producer.

Quote Originally Posted by M3D!C View Post
    soooo i think i may have the wrong idea of samples you get from beatport and such. can you use them to make your own song or what?
    You can use anything you want to do a remix and/or bootleg. Now will it be legal? Nope. Nothing on Beatport is legal to use for remix purposes unless it states that is what it's for. You need to find sites that sell sample packs that are made for that purpose, and are licensed for remixes.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

It doesn't matter what you call it, if you don't have direct permission from the copyright holder you're technically infringing in their rights.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x