Ableton question

Default Ableton question

This forums would be great if there was a question section, but i guess this is the right section to post.

When it comes to dropping a lot of cash on a music production software. I would love to know whats the difference between Ableton live or Ableton suite; and can you still use Ableton suite to dj with?
    By my observations Ableton suite is more expensive. I assume its better.

Thanks for any help

In a nutshell suite comes with allot more plug ins and samples than the standard edition of ableton. I'm guessing your a little fresh to this stuff so I'd advise doing some more research before you decide which version you would like to purchase. It basically comes down to whether you think the extras are worth the money.

Also direct all ableton questions to the new ableton section in the forum. It's having a slow start.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
    In a nutshell suite comes with allot more plug ins and samples than the standard edition of ableton. I'm guessing your a little fresh to this stuff so I'd advise doing some more research before you decide which version you would like to purchase. It basically comes down to whether you think the extras are worth the money.

Also direct all ableton questions to the new ableton section in the forum. It's having a slow start.
    Hope this helps.
    Great! Yes i am new, but i'm learning. - If someone could move this thread over there that would be awesome.
    Can you still use ableton suite for djing?

Yes both versions are capable of the same applications i.e Dj'ing, recording. If you buy the standard edition you will only miss out on a the extra plug-ins and samples but keep in mind there are endless amounts of these for sale if you decide you need them later on down the road.

the big idea is you dont get all of the INSTRUMENTS when you dont get suite. if youre trying to produce, this could be big as i dont think operator and sampler etc come with the standard version. if youre only trying to dj why not go with a dj software? i have ableton but i have never tried to dj with it, it just honestly seems like too much preparation of the material.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    the big idea is you dont get all of the INSTRUMENTS when you dont get suite.
    With basic "Live" you don't not just get the instruments, you don't get most of the sample packs either.

http://www.ableton.com/suite-8 << everything after the heading "The sounds" is not included with basic live.

You can DJ with ALL versions of Live, Including intro, however you really need at least live to make things sound good (complex warp mode is essential for some tracks).

I have been dj'ing with it solely since I got my APC40 and haven't touched Traktor since.

I don't do that much prep just analyze my music folder beforehand and do the rest on the fly - 99.9% of warping work fine without too much adjustment so long as you have the start point right and its a reasonably regular timing, dragging stuff from iTunes if I want something thats not in my set folder is not that big a deal.

I sure wish the browser would be sorted out to integrate itunes playlists properly in live 9 though and browsing though midi - one of live's biggest limitations IMHO is needing to use the mouse a fair bit.

You DON'T need suite for DJ'ing. SUITE is a production suite, with instruments, samples, clips, devices, etc...

For DJ'ing, I'd get regular Live and a bunch of free VST FX. (FSUs, Filters, Gaters, etc...)
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Yeah thanks to everyone output on this questions, which I've found out to you guys. Very much appreciated.

Tech Mentor

I started out with the basic version of Live, over time I have bought some of the Ableton instruments independently. I have never felt the need to upgrade to suite because I have not need for the extra instruments I would get.

As add ons, I eventually purchased Operator, Sampler, and Analog.
    Out of those add ons I find Sampler to be the only "essential" one that I bought. I like Operator, but I could not live without Sampler.