Story time...a tale of Music Production and Furniture Construction (DIY Desk Thread)

Default Story time...a tale of Music Production and Furniture Construction (DIY Desk Thread)

Once upon a time there was a young Australian man. He wanted to move out of home and having a below average Ikea desk, which didn't quite cut it for music production, he decided to buy a $3000 Music Production desk. That man, was not me.

So now that I've lost your attention I'll get down to business. In the next few months I will be moving out and having a Malm desk from Ikea (complete with a very sagged middle part) I decided that I wanted a new desk for dedicated Music Production. Being that I don't have $1500 AUD I decided I'd use my basic knowledge and high school woodworking ability and build my own desk.

I went through a few designs and after speaking to a few people I decided to use Trimble Sketch-Up to get a 3D view of what the desk would look like. Using Sketch-Up allowed me to design the desk really easy and is a great CAD like program (especially as it's free and has a generous learning curve.) After breaking down my design and editing it a bit I settled on the following design.

Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 10.48.36 PM.jpg

Anyway, I thought I'd share a journal in this thread of how I'm making the desk (complete with photo's) for any who are interested.

I was originally going to build the desk out of MDF with a veneer on the desktop (as it's cheap) but I wanted to stain the desk a mahogany colour and therefore needed something that actually stains. I ended up going with a laminated Pine panel (30 mm) for the top part of the desk and then 17 mm Pine Plywood that is structurally graded. I picked the wood up and got it cut by Bunnings (the local hardware store.) This let me put the wood in my car and saved me time messing around with a circular saw when I got home.

I drew up the legs and used a jigsaw to cut the back leg bit out. The intention of this is to put drawers in the bottom parts but make it able to fit racks mounted vertically if i need it. I had a big offcut from the Pine Panelling and decided to use it as a brace for the legs. I made the slot for the brace tight so as to keep everything very solid.

IMG_20120826_095915.jpg

Once I drew and then cut the first leg, I used that as a template to cut all the others.

IMG_20120826_100347.jpg

Even without using any glue, screws or joins I could support my whole weight just on the support brace (about 95kg/210lbs). I placed the top onto the legs and brace to get a picture of how it would look and then cut out the sides and back of the keyboard box and placed that inside too. This is the product so far.

IMG_20120826_114852.jpg

I'll be keeping this thread up-to-date if people are interested and can supply plans or whatever if wanted.

Thanks for reading.

TLDR; Building a music production desk...look at the pictures.
    TP 2.5, VCI - 400, Kontrol F1, Maschine, KRK R5's, Sennheiser HD 25's, Logic Pro 9, NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Looks great so far.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Moving this to Show your setup.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Loving this.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

This is great can't wait to see the finished desk , think of doing something similar myself
    MBP 17 " , Allen & Heath Xone 92 , 2 X NI D2 , Midi Fighter Twister , MF3D , Maschine Mk2 , KRK RP6 G2 , Push , Technics 1210 mk2 , Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Young Guru

looks good man!!
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Thanks all, will try and keep it updated as regularly as I work on it (a bit slow at the moment due to work and it being at my dad's place on the other side of town.)
    TP 2.5, VCI - 400, Kontrol F1, Maschine, KRK R5's, Sennheiser HD 25's, Logic Pro 9, NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Macbook Pro with Retina Display.