HELP! Recording w/ Traktor Pro & Audio 4 DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default HELP! Recording w/ Traktor Pro & Audio 4 DJ

What is the proper way to record from Traktor Pro? I have an external mixer and the problem is the audio recorder can't find anything loud enough to record from. That and it only records from channel A and not B. From the NI forums, they told me to record off Channel D and set route my inputs accordingly but with the A4DJ, I got no sound levels. After that, I decided to record from my master out so I can get channel A and B recorded but now my sound levels are off the charts...with massive distortion. Anyone have any ideas?

I use an external mixer (old school Pioneer DJM-300) with a Audio 4 DJ:

My Traktor Preferences:
    Both my Output and Input Routing match. Channel A and B getting Left and Rights matched up. Recording prefs have me recording from Channel B.

I have one of my master outs from the mixer plugged into my channel B in on the A4DJ. The other is plugged into an input for my speakers.

I've tried lowering the gain on the audio recorder, the master gain in Traktor, playing with the volume knob on the front of the A4DJ, lowering the master volume level on my mixer....nothing. I even tried audio recorder programs for Mac but they can't record off the A4DJ directly. (I'm not going to try recording off my Mac's mic...because I probably will swear in the middle of set when I mess up hahaha)

Please guys, help me record from my setup!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Have you set Record to External?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Record to external? You mean, in the recording prefs? Yeah, I set it to external for sure because I set it to record from channel B.

Does the mixer have a Booth Out or a Record Out? I've run into problems with the second master out on pioneer mixers not outputting sound. Maybe check the main out you are running to your speakers and see if that outputs sound?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Its an old mixer but from what I can read from the back...it just has two phono/line outs and Master Out 1 and 2. I tried switching and I found that both put out sound. But they are both super loud.

So I can record, but I have no idea why it is so loud.

Oh, I totally misread that, huh... okay.

I think it comes down to a combination of your recording gain and your master out. I've used that mixer a lot at my last gig, and yeah, you're stuck with those two master outs.

I'd say turn down the gain in traktor and the master out and slowly build them up. Once sound hits the recorder is it just overwhelmingly loud?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Also, when I plug in the master out to the input side of channel B on the A4DJ, the "3/4" lights up bright red. Not the usual green.

All I've done is external recording in T3.

I have it through Channel A, which is assigned to ins 5/6. My recording is set to external at Channel A.

All I can think of is it's the volume settings. It just might have way too much juice.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Ok sounds good. I turn down the master volume in traktor and the master volume on my mixer. Now here is the weird thing, the only one that affects recording volume is my master volume on the mixer.

I turned the traktor volume to -14.3 db and by itself, it does nothing. I turn down my volume on my mixer to nothing and with both very low, then the recording volume is acceptable levels...but with the volume that low, I can't hear anything on my speakers...or my cans...damn it.

Tech Convert

I have no idea where it could have too much juice. If I turn down the master volume on my mixer, I can't hear anything...but the red light on my A4DJ probably means its getting too much volume back into Traktor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast